View Single Post
Old 09-05-2017, 10:10 AM

Default Go to the river !!!!

I was out Sunday and Monday at the Cabin. Sunday was rough with steady winds out of the north west. We have had Algae since August long weekend this year, and there was some blue green happening then on calm days.

Funny thing, if you run up to the Northwest Corner where a lot of the locals go, the Rock Island River goes for long distances through muskegs, and is tea coloured and the north west end is clean. The acid from the muskegs seems to help keep the ph in balance so there are no big algae blooms.

Now the South East end were the Provincial Park and the cabin sections are, that gets nasty. If you are in the townsite, the algae is pushed across the whole lake by the wave action, and eventually goes down the Calling River. Not so for the south beach, which traps the Algae in the corner by the Provincial Park. We have north west prevailing winds the majority of the time. Sometimes to 5 feet.

As for the fishing....

When it was rough on the east shore on Sunday Afternoon in front of the Church and across to Mckinnon Outfitting and the water plant, non stop action from 20 fow to 10 fow. Fish to 7 pds, 26 inches, lots in the slot. Fish were stuffed with perch minnows.

We used a white single tail jig body with a pink 1/2 jig head, and used a piece of belly strip from a walleye (keep the skin on, about 2 inch strip, 1/4 inch wide or so). We had been hammering the fish on leeches all summer, but the leech supply has dried up.

Monday AM there was no wind to push us so I set up for trolling with Canadian Wigglers in chartreuse perch finish. Best was a husky 12 pd Pike in 12 fow. Then we went tubing with the kids for the afternoon.

With the cooler nights, the algae will clear up pretty quick.

The bigger problem was the FISH FLIES!!! I'm talking billions of them. A nuisance, harmless, but a real nuisance.

Drewski