View Single Post
Old 09-06-2017, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnBlues63 View Post
You'll find that algae stacks up downwind too. I was at Calling the weekend before last and all along the west shore from the boat launch to the point was relatively clear. There was a lot of green suspended, but no slick and no smell.
The wind was blowing out of the west that morning and quite strong so that whole area was the "lee" side of the lake. I expect the east side would have been thick with the surface slick.

There was plenty of walleye activity in deeper water. Right up until the end of July I was hammering them in about 17' but once the temp rose in August, I found I had to go out deeper to find them consistently.

The problem with cleaning that crap off your boat is that by the time you get to a car wash it's dried on and you need a scraper to get it off. It'd be really nice to have a quick rinse station right there at the lake! Of course it'd be nice if the parks people had the manpower/time to fix the launch too!
Yeah just the regular green algae isn't too bad for smell, I can live with that stuff. The blue green stuff was brutal but only in small pockets here and there.

I tried everywhere from 5-35 fow and couldn't find any consistent luck. Best action was 15-20 but I caught them at all depths and ended up with 7 for the day which I consider slow but was better then a couple other boats I chatted with.

As for washing that stuff off. There was no way I was putting my gear inside my car like that so I used some of the water from the tank at fish cleaning station lol. Wouldn't work for a boat and kind of a dink move but not like you could use the cleaning station anyways with it overflowing with guts...