View Single Post
Old 09-18-2017, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewski Canuck View Post
Fish were in 10 - 12 FOW on Sunday AM. Very cold by the way, and a south wind so not the best, but fish are there and some are hitting.

Water quality is improving and surface temp was 14C as opposed to 17 + C in August.

As for residential lake front development, too late for that, but a cabin with a contained sewer is not the same as a feedlot with 400 cows on a hill that drains into a lake with no outlet stream, like at Pigeon.

Yet the farming continues.

Drewski
Glad to hear it is getting a bit better.

Sorry for the bit of a derail but land use is all related imho.

I added cabin frontage because from my past, where our family used to own cabin frontage on Muriel Lake. It is not just about sewage and/or chemical control. All the cabin owners in the bay we were in pulled chains and cleaned out the entire bay of weeds on the first 7-8 FOW. As a kid all I cared about was the swimming at the time so this all seemed good to me. I would not even think about that now. Guess what we had few of in that bay - any notable fish. I don't know if that still continues or is allowed...probably. Has a huge impact as in this example for my past. Cabin owners should have to be as responsible as farmers, and in a perfect world, it would be great to see cabin frontage end and not further expand. Big changes...I know.

So any land user around water bodies - lake, river, creek, springs - should be looked at with the idea to get it back to as natural as possible and limit future impacts.

As for farmers, you have to start somewhere on big problems so that is fine by me. I'm on a 5th generation farm that borders creek land that leads to the NSR. The creek is kept natural but how far back should we be restricted from the edge? Especially around areas where the creek is starting or “fingers/feeders” that grow the creek . Those are usually even larger drainage areas which should be more restrictive…one would hope.

So maybe start with farm land surrounding lakes and work out from there. How do we get this started
Seriously. Trout Unlimited Canada? ACA? Letters to the minister? All of the above?