View Single Post
Old 11-21-2017, 11:43 PM
Banned

“It also underscores how important it is that those who identify with the left and progressive values don’t let the right claim exclusive ownership of the vital and enduring principle of free expression. That would be sheer folly.”

I haven’t really been following it but I have watched news reports on both university incidents.

I can’t say that I agree with the statement above that the right owns the principles of freedom of speech. On the contrary, and I think that these incidents are testament of it, the left seems to decide what should and should not be discussed. IMO, the pendulum has swung so far towards political correctness that it has stifled any and all opposing views on many potentially sensitive issues. To me, the tolerant left has become very intolerant.

Universities are supposed to be places for objective thought where students should be presented with opposing views and they use their own thought process to decide what they believe is their position on any given issue. What is sad is, with the current climate of political correctness, it has become taboo to present any view that is contrary to what is expected by the political correct. That is not an education, that is an indoctrination to a way of thinking.

Political correctness is out of control IMO and any view that is expressed differing from a left wing ideology is not tolerated.