View Single Post
Old 04-29-2013, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamsasky View Post
This is all true and makes sense. My problem is that I will use them probably less than half the time on the boat and is why I want them removable. The space they will take up in the boat I will be able to deal with as it won't be very often. Mounting them properly to the gunwale would look neat and clean but was worrying about resale and having 8 bolt holes in the boat. Using the seat base does still worry me a little. Maybe I gotta suck it up and bolt them in....or go back to a 2x6 plank and run it across.
Sorry if this sounds simple ......but maybe you dont know ...... all that stays in your boat is this 5" x 5" plastic base. The downrigger get unplugged, un-mounted and stays in the garage, RV or shed and does not need to be on the boat. There are 4 thumb screws that mount to the base.

Just permanently bolt this base down - easy and neat and the rigger completely installs and removes in 35 seconds. The bolts are recessed.

http://www.sportco.com/store/pc/Scot...-756p42533.htm

You will hardly notice this on your back deck or rear gunnels - it looks factory, clean and is, in fact, the proper, safe way to mount this.

If you are dead set against putting 4 holes in your boat in exchange for the time, effort and associated risk with rigging up a seat base contraption then cool. I bet 99% of guys buying your boat wouldn't bat an eye lash when it comes time to sell your boat. Most wouldn't even notice it I bet.