Thread: Fish cameras!
View Single Post
Old 01-05-2019, 11:42 PM

I’ve been on this issue for a couple years now. I have an older Marcum and Aqua-vu, both B&W and fine in the right conditions.

I’ve looked at the China package types, lots on AliExpress BTW, all the same design.

Now I know a bit about cameras and what’s interesting is that even the $1000 Marcums use $15 cameras. Sony Super HAD II for example. Now there are different resolutions but you can buy them all on their own for $15ish.

For good visibility I’m certain they’ll work just like a Marcum, etc. what I’m interested in, is if those high end cameras use software tweaked for low-light underwater.

I can make a water proof housing for the camera, buy a 5-10 inch portable 12 v TV for $100ish, and I use EPS batteries, which are the same ones cameras and flashers use, just bought and sold in bulk and you can buy them cheaper as EPS (emergency Power Supply) used for computers.

I know the China package cameras use CMOS cameras but don’t usually list what specific ones. The cameras are being used by drones a lot now (FPV).

I got a mini DVR off AliExpress for $40 that’s 12v and is around 4 inches by 4 inches. Connects to the video output of either camera.

Long story short, I plan on putting together a system with a Super HAD II CCD, LEDs, IR lights (not sure IR works well underwater at that power level, as I’ve read it doesn’t yet brand name cameras have IR), DVR, and probably a 9-10 inch display.

Should cost around $200, or less if I can use some parts I already have. At very least I will record video that I can later improve with software, if I can’t manage to process it live. Since it’s the same camera as a $1000 Marcum, it has to capture the same video.

I’m fairly skeptical the brand name units use processing software, since in all honesty there’s not a lot you can improve, after the camera. I’ll try to find if there is a better camera choice since I can afford the upgrade, although if there was such a camera that isn’t $500 or so, I’m sure Marcum and Aqua-Vu would release a $2500 camera since people would probably buy it.

I’m even considering using a DSLR camera, since the water proof housings already exist.