Thread: Hip replacement
View Single Post
Old 12-02-2023, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
You are COMPLETELY wrong about that. I checked t.
Have to strongly disagree and I think I'm a lot closer to this than you are.
You are correct though in that the issue is not the surgeon and the issue is not the OR space, plenty of capacity there. One of the issues is support staff, primarily anesthesia. Surgeries are being cancelled and postponed due to lack of anesthesiologists. The private system does provide more OR space, but again, thats not the issue, there is plenty of OR capacity, its staff. I am personally aware of a number of ortho surgeons who are working basically part time in the public system and primarily working private clinics because it is much more lucrative. Same issue exists with ophthalmology and radiology, the private clinics pay better, have better hours and better working conditions. Ortho's would do knees and hips all day long in the private clinic if they didn't have to give up hospital OR privileges. Better pay , better hours never having to be "on call" on a weekend in the hospital. The only reason they stay in the public system is they do not want to give up OR privileges in the hospital. If you don't think personal gain is driving this trend then you put much more faith in the altruistic nature of medicine than they deserve. My experience is not from the patient side of the issue, its from the other side.