View Single Post
Old 10-28-2014, 09:22 AM

Wow, thanks guys! I'm not sure if this made my decision easier or harder...haha..I can see Ultralight fishing is fairly popular and done by passionate fishermen! In the end I did go with Fenwick - wasn't planning on it, but I work close to the Fishin Hole and went in at lunch. The St. Croix's looked cool, but so expensive. Then this Fenwick kind of called to me - looked like the thinnest rod in the shop, so I bought it for $60. For the reel I let the Fishin Hole staff recommend a reel - was an ultralight one - didn't spin as freely as I would've liked to see, but oh well, was $35. After reading your posts I'm inclined to agree with going with a larger reel - probably spins way better, although then the line would hit the bottom guide more so maybe that's a negative? I'll experiment maybe, I can trade out the reel. As for the rod it is light and think will be awesome, but I think it was Rav that mentioned maybe the flimsiest rod might not offer a good hookset, so I'll see how that pans out. All in all I might have to take a trip back and exchange the reel, or try it out and then fine tune it later. Thanks for all your advice and recommendations! Now, how do I make time go into warp speed for next spring so I can use the darn thing? :-)