Thread: Upper pembina
View Single Post
Old 03-30-2023, 09:29 PM

When we were initially informed of the plan to close the upper Pembina in early 2016...it was already a done deal.
So...some of the questions I asked at the time were..what is the objective?...what are the benchmarks/criteria for reopening?

The answers;
The goal for the upper Pembina...is "The long term goal is to ensure that population sustainability is maintained so that First Nations can exercise their Treaty Right to fish in perpetuity in the watershed and the fisheries resource can be allocated to recreational anglers . A recovery rest period is the first step toward that goal"

What will happen after the 5 year rest period?
AEP will reassess the status of the fish populations at the end of the 5 year period and consult with First Nations and all stakeholders on the next steps.

Here we are 7 years later and I believe that some of the original drivers behind this like Paulette Fenton are no longer with the program.

Was any consultation done after 5 years?...I do not know...if so...I have not heard.

The program was billed as a "first of its kind on flowing waters in Alberta"...which was not true as some of you will remember alternate season closures on east slope streams back 40 or 50 years ago

My prediction at the time was that the upper Pembina would never be reopened in my lifetime.
Some of you oldtimers will remember Deerlick, Wampus and Eunice...they were closed for Forestry study purposes over 50 years ago...they have never reopened.

One point of interest...AEP are on record stating that the driver of the grayling decline is "not likely attributed to any one user"

So...if in fact the statement above is that the fishery has not recovered is accurate....then one can conclude that sport fishing is not one of those drivers.