View Single Post
Old 11-19-2017, 11:49 AM

Default New Mule hunter advice

Ive hunted white tails most of my life. I decided this season to draw antlered mule in 118. I probably should have asked for advice before the season but now that my seasons done, gotta head back to work, i figured id ask a few questions.

I got permission on some leases south of medicine hat. I couldnt get permission before the season to do any scouting so i was kinda google scouting and just picked a few leases at random. So i got down there for 3 days hunting this week. I seen 6 bucks and probably 40+ does. That area is totally new area/terrain for me as Im used to hunting whitetails in boreal type forest. The mules seem to spot me from a long ways away. Then would bounce away and i never did catch up to them or get close enough to shoot one. The closest i came was 320 yards according to the range finder that seemed to be the magic number. any closer and they would take off. Im almost positive it was on sight alone as the wind was in my favor almost the entire hunting trip. I dont feel comfortable shooting 300 yards as this is my first time hunting with a scope. Ive always used open sights and never had to shoot past 50-60 yards. With whitetails alot of time if you bump one they will circle back and check you out. Sit and wait kinda thing. Or they stay still cause they think you dont see them. So i guess my couple questions are..

If you bump a mule do they usually just keep going? One of the bucks i bumped seem to just bounce off for miles.
Will they usually return like say at night? Or the next day?
Will mule bucks come to where the does are at? If find a group of does will the bucks eventually come?
I know some are gonna suggest learning to shoot farther which I may do some more practice now that i have the scope on the old gun, but Im kinda looking for tips on how to get close.

My season is done down there, as i gotta head back to work. But i had alot of fun, and alot of miles exploring new to me terrain. My legs need some improvement alot of steep coulees haha. I am looking so forward to pulling the tag again in 2-3 years.
Is there another WMU like 118 same kinda terrain that has a general mule tag? So i can practice I thoroughly enjoyed that hunt even tho i never fired a shot.