Thread: Bass? Alberta?
View Single Post
Old 09-15-2011, 02:11 AM

AVB3 posted......

.........Quote:
Originally Posted by steelhead
The 2 provinces have vastly differing climates. And that is a huge reason why bass would never harm trout streams and habitat in this province.

Seeing your so *sure* of this, then you must have some peer reviewed studies which indicate the same. Or at least ONE, right?

If you didnt know BC and Alberta had differing climates, something every canadian should have learned in grade 8, then you dont belong in this discussion.

As for info, look as hard as you can for "Bass invading high mountain streams in Canada" Look real hard and tell me what you find. And if you do find something, find out what climate the area is in. Makes a difference, believe me.

The Bow river has Pike and perch. Any reports of Pike or perch being caught in say, the highwood above longview? Threepoint creek? The sheep river? And pike are a river fish on the cusp of cold and cool water species. What gives there? Especially those destructive perch. They ruin trout potholes, but not the streams. Interesting.

Sheephunter wrote..........

........... It seems to me that if forage is truly an issue that there would be far better and more economical choices to stock than bass but I could be wrong.

Since you know Pigeon more than the rest of us, are you gonna tell me that all those skinny walleyes are from a disease? Methinks they are starving. Pine coulee, Pine lake, Lac lanonne, Long Lake, and the list goes on of skinny walleye lakes. Walleye eating shrimp and whitefish gorging on spotails. Yes, theres a forage issue in many lakes, for sure. The more forage species the better.

As for billions of studies, well, Google is your friend!

Start your search in the eastern provinces. Find a lake with largemouth in it and read the studies. largemouth are all introduced in the east in all lakes.

You may also want to familiarize yourselves with the definitions of cold, cool, and warm water fishes and the temperatures they tolerate.

And all through that, keep in mind Alberta waters are 3 degrees cooler than every other province in Canada on average. You can google river flow charts and temp data from evey province as its all available on the internet. Compare the temps for each province and average it and compare it to alberta. Just like I did when i went to school, only i had to go to the library and reques info from government sources.

Once you have done that, maybee you will think twice about your trains of thought.

Sheep also added......

..... I know I've read loads of information on the dangers of smallmouth bass specifically entering waters where trout exist. It seems smallmouth are quite comfortable in cooler waters where trout exist. Not sure why this would be different in Alberta.

Most of that information is based on potholes and stocked lakes. The issue has never come up with Bass invading high trout streams as it hasnt happened yet, EXCEPT, where the climate plays host to perfect conditions where bass thrive ie. Vancouver Island, Where its a rainforset blah blah blah.

Different climates and the Elk river example. The area of the Elk river drainage is very simular to Alberta streams, cold water flowing into cool waters. No Bass. excellent example.

STEELHEAD

Last edited by steelhead; 09-15-2011 at 02:33 AM.