Thread: Bass? Alberta?
View Single Post
Old 09-15-2011, 10:18 AM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelhead View Post
Sheephunter wrote........

.........Largemouth perhaps...smallmouth not so much. I think you skipped a couple days of school.

* Smallmouths have the same tolerances as walleye*. I learned that in school and theres charts online to show that. Its basic knowledge of the fishing world and taught in first year.

Remember I mentioned the imajinary line in the rivers where you dont see walleyes and goldeyes and just see trout and whitefish?

Ever iced fished Bass, and not just once or twice, I mean ALOT? Guess what, its almost impossible to catch either smallmouths or largemouths while ice fishing. They tend to be incedental catches. What do bass do when its too cold for them? They go right to the bottom and hide in the mud or lay dormant and not feed. They cant take the cold. Pike and walleyes still move, but bass of both species go dormant.

Where do walleyes and goldeyes go in the winter? Well, because they cant take the cold of our frozen rivers, they head to Diefenbaker to winter. Years of ice fishing the rivers in the south in the deep winter, I have never caught a single walleye or goldeye, anyone else? Pike, yes, burbot , yes, Whitefish, yes, but never goldeyes or walleyes.

I think you are missing something entirely and to argue it, well, I see someone skipped school and never even signed up. Its ok to still learn something. Everything I mentioned is basic education. Its in the fishermans bible. Pick one up.

STEELHEAD
Walleye, pike and trout are commonly found in the same stretches of numerous Alberta rivers, even the Bow. Perhaps it's you that is missing something entirely? I think your imaginary line exists only in your imagination.

As for smallmouth hiding in the mud in the winter.....I think you a reading the wrong bible. Largemouth do get pretty lethargic though.