View Single Post
Old 11-24-2017, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aulrich View Post
Part of me thinks a province wide tag system is the way to go, a win card gets a limit of X " eater" size tags and one trophy per year. Fill your tags and your done keeping fish for the year. Open most lakes to some harvest.

For pike I would say an "eater" is 65-80 cm trophy >100

Don't know what it should be for walleye

The reason I like total tags is I know a retired guy back home in Manitoba during the summer he fishes 5 of 7 days a week catches his 2 and eats them for breakfast. He never breaks his possession limit but his impact on the fish stocks is pretty impressive.

Another thing I have started to see is a boat limit so say with pike you can have 5 guys in the boat but the boat can only have 10 pike taken not 15.
Thats a terrible idea, the system is ok as is but it can use some tweaking , I live up north where the population is far less than around the big cities,you can go out and not see any other people most times with a 1 walleye over 50cm limit. Or you have remote fly in lakes that don't see the pressure like all the lakes further south. We all pay for a sport fishing license every year there is no good reason why we all have to pay an extra $10 and draw fees for walleye tags. One lake I mention earlier in the post they mention the lake is doing great for walleye but they're try to dip they're hands deeper in are pockets by suggesting maybe doing a draw system or cut back and make it a one fish lake. Who in their right minds would vote for a draw system on a lake that's clearly showing the management in place is actually working fine.

Some times you catch the Big fish, some times you get stuck in Chip