View Single Post
Old 09-10-2012, 08:59 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskyFan View Post
Hey Guys,

I'm 100% completely new to hunting, never did it in my life, and was never raised around it, but I'm interested in trying it and for certain aspects it really interests me.

I like the idea of hunting to provide for myself and family, and I think it could be an invaluable skill to have in unpredicatable situations later in life. However I'm not sure I have it in me for the "sporting" aspect of it.

I could see myself hunting for deer/elk/moose etc, and enjoying the huge amount of food it would provide for my family and friends. And I don't see this really any different than how we get our grocery store meats (maybe its even more humane in some ways?). But I don't really see myself enjoying the "trophy" side of things, and I'm curious if there are others out there that are the same way?

For instance going wolf/bear/cougar hunting just for the sake of killing it really would bother me I think. I have a hard time even looking at some of the pics on this forum for that reason (the wolf thing really gets to me for some reason, maybe because I'm a dog lover?). However I respect the choice that some people make by doing it, and I have no problem with what others do as long as its legal.

I guess what I'm getting at is that I'm curious if anyone else's hunting interests ever conflict with their personal morals/conscience? Or if others have a hard time with the "killing" aspect of hunting (as stupid as that might sound)?

I think some of the responses have missed your point. You say: I could see myself hunting for deer/elk/moose etc, and enjoying the huge amount of food it would provide for my family and friends.
So that shows you have no problem with hunting to acquire meat.
That is what motivates many hunters as well as the enjoyment of the activity and sharing the experience with friends and family.

You say:But I don't really see myself enjoying the "trophy" side of things,...For instance going wolf/bear/cougar hunting just for the sake of killing it really would bother me I think.

So it is not "trophy" hunting for deer or moose or elk that concerns you it is for the "non-meat" kind of hunting (though black bear meat is very good and it is for the meat that I hunt black bears as well as the hides)

And you are not criticizing others for doing so, just saying it may not be for you.

I have shot wolves for their hides and coyotes as well. But I do not "hate" those animals and consider them "vermin" as some seem to. They are predators and do what they must to survive.

When you decide to kill something there must be a good reason for it. If you do not see a reason to kill a wolf then you don't have to. Killing one because other people do it and you want to fit in is probably not a good reason to.

Yesterday I saw a small hawk chasing a chickadee. At first I hoped the chickadee would escape the hawk but then I thought the hungry hawk needed to eat. There is no good or bad, fair or unfair in such a situation. Man should not dis predators because they are predators.

Archery Sept. 1 - Oct. 31 Muzzleloader and Crossbow Oct. 1 - Oct. 31 Rifle Nov. 25 - Nov. 30

...And HIS kingdom shall have no end...