View Single Post
Old 09-10-2012, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winger7mm View Post
My latest incident with hunting and morals. I had taken a pic of our goose shoot today the harvest was hauled with my truck. After we were finished up I had placed all the geese on the tail gate in the typical stance on facebook. The first reply I got was "Thats FU#*ING DISGRACFUL" by an old friend, before all the congrats on a great hunt. Shes not a hunter and all that stuff. I asked her if the trees hug her back or if she ever gets sap in her hair lol, prob not the best answer but most definatly the best pg rated answer I could give lol. If you have an issue taking an animals life for food, well have fun eating bread and jam. IMO i would rather by far eat a happy and "cute" animal then one that lives a horrible life in a cage just big enough for its body and forced to eat food and injected with hormones, antibiotics, steriods and water. Think about it, store bought chickens are butchered at in between 3-6months of age, where as 10 years ago they had to live to an adult stage to get to those sizes. Cant wait till I fill my freezer with wild meat, good bye meat department!!!
It is actually 42 days. That is the age a meat chicken lives before it is butchered. At least the commercially raised ones anyways. If you buy from a farm direct who is growing the heritage breeds then those birds are older as there genetics haven't been altered to make them such fast growers. Also, some birds are slaughtered a little earlier, however, most will never make it to 7 weeks. I have seen commercial birds grown to, I believe 8 weeks, and these birds looked like watermelons on toothpicks. It was insane to see how big these birds got.

My wife asked me once how old chickens live, she is a city girl. I told her 6 weeks if it was a meat bird and a year if it was a layer. She then rephrased the question to mean how old would they live if we didn't slaughter them. Still don't know the answer to this question.