Thread: Table saw?
View Single Post
Old 09-24-2020, 01:30 AM

Best table saw is a reconditioned radial arm saw - 1959 amf DeWalt. Reconditioned and adjusted you'll have one of the best saws ever made. Very versatile very accurate when carefully adjusted. I inherited one that I started using when Lester Pearson was still PM.
Considering how often I've been using it, I'm starting to look around for a bigger one; 1-ph 220.

They pop up from time to time on Kijiji in various condition for peanuts, when people pass away or they clean out the garage before moving away. Get the longest arm and largest motor in the late '50s series. Not the more recent B&D ones.

Alternatively you could buy a new, updated version by 'The Original Saw company' in Iowa. Akhurst is apparently a supplier in Edmonton. 12, 14, 16, 18, 20, 22.5 inch saws, from 3 through 7.5 HP. 3-phase available. 24" and 32" crosscut arms available in the higher end models. Apparently when the earlier saw company was sold off, one company got rights to use the name, but the actual tooling was sold to Original Saw. If I won the lottery I'd probably go for a 16-inch super duty with 32-inch arm and a 3-phase 7.5 horse motor. (The 14-inch 5 hp 3-phase is on special for a cool 9 grand.)