View Single Post
Old 09-29-2011, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
Chub, even I get it. Sundance lake is like a big fish tank. There is no "Natural" balance. The balance is how the owners deal with it.
come on guys... Even I get it that Chubby and HunterDave know the difference... I was not going to post...but it did get out of control...and some may not understand that there are 5 million posts on this.

We are firstly...not wasting the perch. They are getting eaten...smaller ones used for fertiziler.

Secondly...these illegally introduced perch stunt and as this is a lake without inflow or outflow...and is man made...we must manage the fishery as intended...a stocked rainbow trout fishery. Perch and trout colide on that front as perch stunt and millions of perch eat the trout's natural food supply harming growth and the recreational value.

Thirdly...suckers in a pothole lake etc...do the same thing...they compete with trout in a closed system. In a natural system...while imbalances happen...mother nature can adjust...increase natural predators etc.

I did a cool spawning survey on Wolf Lake. The walleye spawn right when the ice is melting around the edges...then shortly after the white suckers spawn. The walleye and pike have a bit of a head start size wise...so once the suckers hatch...watch out cause the small walleye and pike can start to target them. Circle of life.

Comparing a man made lake to a natural stream...guys...Chubby and HunterDave can call ....gotcha...