View Single Post
Old 06-05-2014, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver View Post
I have an engine similar to yours and it has had a problem not that different than yours. When I have a problem with a seasonal engine, the first thing I look at is the fuel. I like to give it a good dose of a carb cleaner, my go to at this point is a product called Sea Foam. I would mix in a good shot of Sea Foam with about a gallon of gas and feed that to your engine, let it run for a few minutes. Every day or so, start it and run it for a minute. Keep this up for a week or so.

If you have a cooty in your fuel system, this may clean it out. Mix some more Sea Foam in to your next tank of fuel and take it for a run. This may work or it may not, doesn't cost much to try.

Regular gas has ethanol in it, it deteriorates over time. My plan at this point is to run premium gas in all my small engines, rototiller, chainsaw, lawnmower, and boat. It will be a bit more work and planning but I think it will be worth it.

Good luck
Yes Sea foam is a good product and has helped me too. As for gas deteriorating .. so true. I took apart the carb on my Champion generator as it would not start after sitting for the winter and it was incredibly bad. I have taken apart carbs on 60 yr old outboards that were cleaner than that. It was completely gummed up and the float bowl full of goo from fuel that had solidified. Today's gas is crap . You could have a partially gummed up carb from bad fuel and it won't clear itself on its own . So many possiblities but this may be the best and easiest thing to check first