View Single Post
Old 10-06-2018, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
The bottom line is ..... if this wasn't taken out of context ....... and the teacher used her classroom to push political views (of any kind) that's out of line.

I really don't care if the teacher agrees with my views or doesn't - it's not something a teacher should be doing period.

My kids, both in university now, had a few teachers say a few things I thought really bordered on a razor's edge in terms of ethics. The good news is both kids were smart enough to make up their own minds - and I'd say maybe most kids will.

Our household always tried to present critical thinking when it came to politics. As a result, my 2 kids have completely opposing viewpoints on politics and who they support in elections.

Hopefully, if this story wasn't taken out of context, and the teacher did try and influence students - most kids are smart enough to think critically for themselves as well.
This is my feeling as well.

I view teachers like everyone else - a mixed bag of political views, teaching skills, and love for their jobs.

We try and teach our kids this as well and to look critically at what they have to say and learn as much as they can. Overall, I think most teachers have their hearts in the right place and do a great job , but there is the odd one that is a bit challenging, but that can be a good learning opportunity in its own way.

Matt