View Single Post
Old 12-16-2014, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phshrmn View Post
With respect for your standards, I hope there are lots of hunters who dislike the thought of seeing a gravid uterus when they contemplate entering this lottery draw. I maybe the lucky one to get drawn because you don't enter.

From an ethical perspective though, most elk cows are harvested after their embryos are implanted in the uterus so the lateness of the pregnancy is really just a matter of taste. (Pun unintended) If you have harvested December cows, it's likely you have removed some pretty well developed calves in the uterus. I don't want you to change your mind about the hunt, but engage the thinking behind your reticence to participate. You're clear about it being a personal issue but I wonder why. (At least one teacher in my town hopes we can bring back some unborn calf hearts for dissection after getting one from early December's harvest. There are ways to make more use of our harvests.)

WMU 300 seasons extend until late February annually so this is not a new management tool with respect to the development of the calf. And it's not unethical to shoot a cow or doe late in term and I don't think term is relevant.

Some of my colleagues don't like to take a wet doe in the fall - I think this objection is similar as it's simply choice.

Stick to your principles. It makes a difference.
No and I get that whether you shoot one in late September or October or Feb you are "killing" the same number of animals but I guess that is also my argument why not have this hunt in September or Oct? Why wait until the fetus is so mature? Just seems messed up to me.

Not really passing judgement on anyone just my own perspective ....Ill continue shooting bulls every year