View Single Post
Old 08-18-2018, 08:22 AM

Talking "Oh, give me a home where the buffalo roam?"

This bison project was doomed from the get-go. It did not work in the late 70s in Jasper NP, and it doesn't look like it will work now!! Buffalo roam. Sez so in the song!! Lu Carbyn, a well-known authority on bison, spoke out against this from the start, but I guess Parks didn't listen. Just wait till the first tourist gets trampled taking a bison selfie!

In the first post, Grizz mentioned that Parks "removed the fence down two weeks ago". Which fence is this? Here is an excerpt from an article in Alberta Views, describing their brilliant fencing plan.

The Banff recovery team couldn’t come up with a fence that would stop bison but let other animals move freely through their home ranges. Instead, they are counting on a high-tech solution. The eastern escape routes for park bison are fenced with industry-standard fences, but where monitoring has shown that those fences block trails that are important for elk, sheep and other animals, parks staff tie the six strands up into two strips, creating a gap big enough for wildlife to slip through. All the original bison wear radio-collars that send out a warning signal when the bison wander close to those critical fence-crossing locations. When bison are nearby, park biologists unbundle the wire to block the animals until they wander deeper into the park again.

Obviously, this plan did not work, although I can't find any reference to this fence besides this article. Aside from the fact that Kevin van Tighem wrote it, it is actually informative. Here is a link:

https://albertaviews.ca/dont-fence-me-in/

Saving one animal won't change the world, but the world will change for that one animal!