View Single Post
Old 08-20-2008, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seahawkfisher View Post
the problem is that back in the early 90's, when the trailer was made, the only number they stamped onto it was DL1000, the same number they put on all of their trailers. now they want a specific # for each trailer. heck, i still have the paperwork on it and that still isn't good enough...

talk about a cash cow
I had to go through all this BS this summer for my boat trailer. It is homemade, and was never registered, so I had to get the guy to come out and put a VIN # on it so I can get a plate for it. I was told at the registers office that if the trailer had been registered before, it could be registered again without getting the VIN. Its kindof a pain in the ass, but all in all, it wasn't to bad to get done. I'm kinda glad I had to get it done, as it will make the trailer easier to identify if its ever stolen. Not only do they put a VIN tag on, they also stamp the trailer in 2 locations, one on the tongue, another underneath somewhere, so its good from a security standpoint. It costs $50 to have it done, but the guy came right to my house, and it is not an inspection of any kind. All he does is tag and stamp it, I think it took him all of 15 min to do it.