View Single Post
Old 08-20-2008, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Meredith View Post
The stealing of plates from any vehicle is becoming a problem--apparently they are used on vehicles to fool video cameras while stealing fuel from service stations--according to a news story I heard. In the same story it was mentioned that special locking bolts are available to secure the plate. Anybody have experience with these? At least they would slow the thieves down.
I think 'really' securing most vehicle plates would be rather tough. Moreso because of their simple hanging systems and the fact that these are usually made from plastic. Also, these plates have to be 'somewhat accessible and more easily removable'.

Now a trailer is a different story....

I'd buy a longer bolt and strip them right to the nut once they're super tight. The only way they come off after that is with a saw or grinder and that would likely destroy half of the plate trying to get it off.

I've just purchased two 4" stainless steel bolts, 2 washers and 4 nuts.
One of the washers goes on the bolt, slides through the plate and trailer support and the second washer slides over the bolt with the two nuts after that... Everything gets put together nice and tight... (X2)

I then Braze the bolt head and washer together so NO tool will fit over it and do the same to 'both nuts' and washer on the other side. If they can get the plate off in one piece after that..... well, I suppose they've 'earned' it.

If you don't have the means for welding/brazing, I'd merely suggest using lot's of locktite and then stripping the threads of the left-over bolts with some vise grips. Once again, I'd do it right up close to the nut(s) in case the lock-tite doesn't hold....

Does it sound like a lot of work...? To some maybe,... but it sure beats getting pulled over by the RCMP only minutes from the lake cause' you didn't notice that your plate was missing...!!

Besides,... it's the "Principal of it all".... !!

Cheers,

/FC...