View Single Post
Old 08-26-2020, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleyedude View Post
I'm going to argue lol.

It's missing two major things -

Touch screen. The days of the Blackberry are gone. Touch screen and the ability to customize your screen layouts and overlays are HUGE upgrades.

2D sonar quality. The Lowrance broadband 2D sonar is simply better, and when you add in the aftermarket transducers available (Airmar), there is no comparison.

Elite 7TI2 would be the same price at TFH Wall to Wall sale. For $200 more, you're into an Elite 9 TI2 with a touch screen that's 2" larger, that's a no brainer IMHO.
Agree it has no touch screen - correct.

BUT ...can you quantify the "2d sonar is better" does it operate at a different frequency? or in a frequency not available in the hummingbird? is there better target separation? speed of rendering on graphics? It seems to me, based on those 3 things they offer the same capability.

And when you say broadband, I assume you are taking about chirp? because they use the same Hz band modulations and offer the same rates of transmission (pulse).

This technology was developed outside of both Lowrance and Hummingbird 2 decades ago by the military to provide the advantages we see in our units today with clarity.

This unit does have CHIRP.

Not arguing - just asking about this so we can all learn using "objective and data driven" information.

Is there a comparison we can see? Maybe there's more to it? I dunno?

Keep in mind I have both a few series of Hummingbird and a Lowrance HDS unit ……… and I see no discernible difference there at all.

The other point is, anyone can spend the money and upgrade transducers on almost any unit ….. the op asked for a unit under $1000 - and given the fact the unit you recommended was already well above his budget and now you want to add a transducer put this far beyond the scope of the OP's original request.

Heck, if it was $1500 - then I would have another recommendation that does include a touch screen and all of those features - but that's not what he asked for - BUT yes that would make that unit much better - for almost twice the price though ….. see what I mean? (not trying to come off as sarcastic - just making a point here).

Not arguing - just asking ….

Last edited by EZM; 08-26-2020 at 02:47 PM.