View Single Post
Old 08-26-2020, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
Agree it has no touch screen - correct.

BUT ...can you quantify the "2d sonar is better" does it operate at a different frequency? or in a frequency not available in the hummingbird? is there better target separation? speed of rendering on graphics? It seems to me, based on those 3 things they offer the same capability.

And when you say broadband, I assume you are taking about chirp? because they use the same Hz band modulations and offer the same rates of transmission. (This technology was developed outside of both Lowrance and Hummingbird and both solutions are third party in both companies).

Not arguing - just asking about this so we can all learn using "objective and data driven" information.
There are several key differences, but the single biggest factor is in how each unit goes about rendering the 2D sonar data into the image you see on the screen. That's the "black box" part of the equation that is proprietary to each OEM, and that's where the companies separate themselves.

Lowrance refers to their proprietary software for that job as "Broadband Sonar", they have for a long time now, because frankly, not much has changed in 2D sonar quality other than the addition of processing a CHIRP signal. (Which if you recall, Humminbird initially scoffed at and downplayed before realizing they needed to get onboard or get left behind.) The technology of CHIRP was developed by a third party, but how the CHIRP signal is processed is also proprietary to each OEM as I understand it. Lowrance's technology for rendering the 2D image results in better target acquisition, better target separation, and much better detail in how the sizing and color variation of objects within the water column are displayed.

Another key detail is in how the transducers ping. Lowrance pings in a single frequency (or frequency range for CHIRP) and allows the user to select that frequency. Humminbird may have adopted that in their newer models, I don't really know, but to my knowledge, the Bird units ping at both 83 and 200 at all times. Not a big deal, unless you're running multiple sonar units/transducers, and then it creates interference issues. It's also more noise in the water column at all times.

A Camaro and Corvette have much of the same technology and share many capabilities, but they are not the same when it comes to performance. Simply put, Lowrance 2D paints a better picture than Humminbird. There's really nothing bold or new about that claim, I'd day it's pretty well accepted, including among the guys I know that are diehard Bird users.

Quote:
The other point is, anyone can spend the money and upgrade transducers on almost any unit ….. the op asked for a unit under $1000 - and given the fact the unit you recommended was already well above his budget and now you want to add a transducer put this far beyond the scope of the OP's original request.
My point was a simple one. The Lowrance unit is capable of being upgraded at any time should the OP choose to. Not all sonar units give you that option, and the ability to modify or improve a product in the future matters to some people. If you're willing to spend $1000 on a sonar unit, these are things that IMHO, are worth taking into account.

On that topic, another BIG benefit of the Elite TI2 that I forgot to mention the first time around, is the ability to link it wirelessly to a second TI2 to share mapping, waypoints, trails, and 2D sonar between units.

I also believe that screen size is king, especially when it comes to getting value out of SI. If you're looking at spending $1000, you're pretty serious about sonar, and I think you owe it to yourself to see what stretching that budget by another $100 or even $200 might get you. I firmly believe you'll never regret sacrificing a couple cases of beer or a couple trips to McDonalds with the family and spending that little bit extra on your sonar unit.

Last edited by Walleyedude; 08-26-2020 at 03:23 PM.