View Single Post
Old 08-26-2020, 08:33 PM

Agree that screen size is king - I run a 10" and a 9" screen at the helm so I can have a 50/50 split on each unit with 4 different things and they are still big enough to be clear - splitting screens any smaller doesn't give you as much detail to pick out for sure. 100% agree.

The benefit to networking you say with the Elite units exists with every mid range and up unit on every brand and manufacturer. The Birds work in networks with Minn kotta i-pilot and i-pilot link, cannon downriggers, other bird units, and can also be upgraded too - so that's a benefit of any unit over, say, $400 to be honest I think. they also share maps, transducers, trolling motor control, downrigger jogging, deployment, and, of course maps, waypoints, i-pilot tracks, live mapping, etc...

I also use a Lowrance HDS9 unit for additional maps (and chirp). That only comes out on new lakes where community maps exist for my reference. Usually that unit stays unplugged (see comments below) - but not because it isn't a great unit. It is top notch. It just doesn't network with my bow unit, my minnkota, my i-pilot link like all the other stuff does.

And, both units units use the same frequencies BTW (which is the main issue with interference). That's why it's rare that you can run both at exactly the same time and look at them exactly at the same time on the same target.

I also had them on a toggle switch for the transducers - and compared them that way too.

And not to discount what you are saying here because maybe some cheaper units can't process the image (rendering software) as quickly - that's not the case between the Lowrance and the Humminbird - they are both top notch units with outstanding rendering software.

BUT I have used both on my boat at the same time and I will tell you, they are absolutely and nearly identical side by side, real life, right in my boat, with my own eyes.

Thermoclines, two fish stacked tightly together, bait balls, algae in water, foliage and weeds on bottom - they are equal (as long as the sensitivity is matched of course).

I did this several times, to do exactly that, compare the two, to see if or which unit I wanted to use for what and which one was better. I even tested this to 400+ feet of water and it's the same. In deep water you have to toggle transducers back and forth as there is a 100% chance of interference (at least on my boat).

Either way - both are good units - but neither the Lowrance or the Bird is "better" based on what I'm seeing - maybe you have other data, and I'm open and respectful of your knowledge, but, I'm pretty well versed and have specifically experimented with this stuff on my boat and have never seen this proven to be otherwise. I haven't.

Either way, good discussion.

Last edited by EZM; 08-26-2020 at 08:43 PM.