View Single Post
Old 08-27-2020, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coiloil37 View Post
I’ll nitpick a bit myself.

Lowrance and humminbird aren’t even on the map for the best 2d sonar and yes there is a difference between middle and top tier. Furuno owns that market and is found on almost every commercial and charter boat in the salt. The options on their sonar and their processing technology leave the other two mentioned dead in the water. Even their better non chirp 2d sounders give up nothing to any chirp sounder mounted on a boat.
They aren't intended to be. Humminbird doesn't chase the salt market, and Navico (Lowrance) has the Simrad and B&G lines for the salt market.

Quote:
Personally I could take or leave touchscreen. I’ve got both and I couldn’t care either way. Bigger screen size is always better but the lowrance units I’ve been around have horrible resolution and have always been pixilated. The HDS7 on my boat is horrible and is a dedicated chart plotter/NMEA gauge pack these days. I absolutely hate it but it works for what I’m using it for. My old helix 7 gave much clearer picture then any lowrance I’ve owned or seen.
Everyone is different, but for most people, once you've used the touch screen, it's REALLY hard to go back to buttons.

What year is that 7"? Looks like a Gen 1 HDS, maybe Gen 2? Pretty unfair to compare today's screens to 10 year old technology. Screen resolution on today's sonar units is largely a wash between all of the major brands, the specs are all essentially identical, so to suggest the Lowrance is inferior is simply inaccurate. In fact, the only standout is the HDS Live series. The HDS Live screen quality, resolution, brightness, and viewing angles are unquestionably a notch above the competition. They're also well out of the OP's desired price range.

Quote:
My humminbird looked like this. Nice clean arches, target separation and worked just fine for 2d sonar in a lake finding suspended fish.
No offense lol, but I find it hard to take anyone seriously when they have the Fish ID turned on LOL.