View Single Post
Old 08-27-2020, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleyedude View Post
Well, I learned something today. I didn't realize Bird had that tech.

Is it only available in the Onix/Solix line? I have basically zero experience with those units, everyone I know is running Helix, and granted it's been a while, but they didn't have that tech at the time.

The integration of every imaginable component on a single network that is offered these days is pretty incredible. I'll admit to being a bit of a luddite when it comes that stuff though. I've got it all, but I find that I rarely use it. I have a few sonar screens/setups that are my go to's, I drop the trolling motor in, and I fish. Just a rod in one hand and a remote or a tiller handle in the other.
The Helix and the legacy 800 and 900 are able to do the Live network. only really old (or super cheap entry level) units can't do it. It's pretty much the "standard" now I think.

But yeah, I have all this technology on the boat, and use half of it maybe. You are right, even with my I-pilot link, and all that connectivity, but my remote is what I actually use anyways too …. lol

The one thing I do, which is pretty cool, is I drop my trolling motor down (minn-kota) and it will live maps (from that front trolling mount transducer) as I'm cruising a shoreline and I can set it to "follow contour 14ft" (on a different transom transducer) and it will steer me along, as it maps and saves, and keeps me right on the drop off as I go. Live mapping, 30 feet in front of you, as you build a track for an area you have never explored before, and no need to steer, ……….that's pretty cool for a lazy guy like me ………..fishing for hours, being on target, and not steering once.

After that you have the track saved, and the map in the unit forever.

The only complaint is you get complacent and trust it too much and you need to pay attention to where you are going as some people like to anchor and fish right on your path …… yikes …. lol …. ask RAVYAK about his little kayak and my boat coming at him …… lol ….. poor guy.