View Single Post
Old 07-23-2021, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IL Bar View Post
I spray mainly for the weed control. Without preharvest spray we would have to go back to summer fallow every four years to keep ahead of weeds. Going back to that will bring back the dust storms and soil erosion.

If you spray your crop too early you lose out on yield and grade. Kernels shrivel up and look like frost damaged. So no you can’t just spray to keep crop on schedule without a financial impact. That being said sometimes there are late tillers that won’t amount to anything so as long as you spray at the right time those are dried down to get crop ready to harvest.

Green material in the bin is a recipe for disaster when storing grain. That’s why straight cut crops are sprayed to eliminate those green weeds that can cause grain heating in storage later. Swathing does the same thing but as said wildlife damage can be severe and we do not get compensated much for the damage done.
is zero till then directly facilitated by spraying?

I helped a buddy farm for a number of years, 40 years ago. Time spent tilling and harvesting were some of the most enjoyable. Don't remember any chemicals around, but it was your typical low budget family farm.

Being an avid waterfowler, I miss the days of swath.