View Single Post
Old 10-10-2017, 06:21 AM

3 day visit non Harvesting, and rifle profiling time.

The family had lots going on for the long weekend, this was good as it give my friend and I time to change things up a bit on part 2 of the game harvest plan. Same area we are in, and hopefully a wizer attack plan. LOL. More ideas on slowing things down.

We used Monday to check zero of the 30/06's and both rifles were spot on still.
They took a beating back in the harvest grounds, most of us catch our selves using our firearms as bush-bumpers, tree limb hold back sticks, walking-kains, creek bank climbing anchors, once in a while pry bars, and other functions we seem to come up with.

My rifle came in handy as a tent pole and a trap flap holder on one of those Windy days when trekking the wild lands.

Any Who, the weigth factor is good at the 10 ish lb range, but knocking off a few inches will allow for easier function of mobility. At least the little Nikon scope is holding its own,,, today I hope to get the 3X zoom/ field of spread % sorted... Our harvest plan is in dam thick bush and most likely an encounter will be up close and fast with limited time to act.

I see a 1.7- 4X 44mm scope being a wizer plan,,, at least for me that is.
Not sure how I ended up in the 3-9 zoom category, but I find that even 3power is just to much when bush stocking,,, and a quick crank of the zoom to 4X if needed will cover any distance I need.

In matter in fact,,, most of my open area harvestest have been on 4x's power.

Yesterday I was jumping bullets off all the iron silhouettes from 300 to 600M, back and forth using 3x power only. This would not be possible with out the range dot BDC Retrical.

The optics are the clearest on low power, not a bad field of view at 100m's,,, not so much at 35 to 50m's, if I spook up a Bull Elk off the bed, its going to be challenging getting onto it with the lowest of 3X.

Buddy got me onto full feed bursts as fast as we can jack them rounds threw these Chambers. Ha.
I'm pretty crappy at this after watching him PRS his rifle.

There is something to be said about youth. LOL.
He likes this idea since he finds that chunking critters 2 or more times puts them down in their tracks immediately.

His reply to this is called the 2 positive "WACKS" that we can distinctively hear. 1 "WACK" is good from those 30/06 180gr'ers,,, but the second "WACK" is the re-asurance that the dam thing is going down. LOL.

Youth thing I guess.

Off to fun worky today as we gear up for the next back woods outing with what we bring to the table,,, hopefully a little bit of learned skill with some luck gets us back onto those Elk. Wish we had time to stay the course full time, but still lucky enough to get out there part time.

Western Canada Don