Thread: Leeches?
View Single Post
Old 04-21-2022, 10:09 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by trigger7mm View Post
When do most of the stores start carrying leeches. I want to stock up for the summer. Thanks.
Locally supplied leeches can only be harvested after the ice comes off the ponds. Leeches from the U.S. can only be harvested after the ice comes off the ponds. Walleye Masters out of Edmonton used to supply the bait stores in that area and they got their supply from Minnesota. The two people I know in Saskatchewan who trap commercially are located in P.A. and Meadow Lake, a little way north of me and they've got plenty of snow still.

Last year the stores had very few if any commercial grade leeches in their bait fridges. I have a spot and my successes started in the last week of April. I keep only the largest and return the regulars and smalls to grow and I was able to collect over 18 pounds in 7 weeks. I made a lot of new friends.

This year the melt has been slow so I'm not expected any results until the second week of May and depending on how high the temperatures climb and at what speed I look forward to ending the trapping trips by mid June. By August I have switched to worms.

Free