View Single Post
Old 10-19-2012, 02:47 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outcast View Post
With 90% of the standard cartridges available the 400 yard dot, which is long distance by most peoples standards, is within a couple of inches of eachother. Whether its a 30-06 with a 180 grain pill or a 7mm with a 140, you will hit the "pieplate" with that dot.

Agreed Chuck. Relatively simple!

If you are running it out past 500 then I agree the Zeiss is the better system, or dial up.
You could be right but I'd say that the drop difference in the two cartridges you mentioned would be significantly different (I'm guessing but likely 6-8" at 400 yards) so I doubt that both would be a 400 yard zero for the bottom dot...if either..... In fact, you could likely miss a pie plate as you only have a 5" margine of error unless you are talking about one of those really big Costco pies...lol Personally I prefer something more precise. Like everything else, long range reticles have developed. The Rapid Z is just the next evolution. Likely it will be antiquated one day too.

400 yards really isn't that far any more though with the right gear. I can see the nostalgia of holding on to old technology but truthfully, the new stuff works better. You can't get better than knowing that each yardage indicated reticle is indeed zeroed for that yardage. You can get worse though. Why use something that may be good enough when there is a precise option?