View Single Post
Old 05-27-2018, 07:44 PM

I think Everyone here has most of the basics covered and have mentioned the lures to try.

Jigging a 2oz white hair jig, buzz bomb, or white tube is a really fun way (and by far the best way to catch lots of fish quickly) once you find them sitting on the bottom in a particular area. So keep a jigging rod ready to go in the boat.

When trolling - Troll slow, lot's of "S" curves and get your presentation down (whatever you choose to drag) to where you see the suspended fish moving on the sonar (arches and lines up/down on angles) these are active feeders.

Lakers are usually not picky and relatively easy to catch (where they are plentiful) but every once in a while, they seem to hone on into one "colour" or one "vibration" or "action" and won't take anything else and it can get frustrating until you find the right speed, lure, colour or presentation.

Let me give you one example of that ....

Fishing was slow last trip - we were marking lots and lots of fish but not getting many takes - tried all the regular producers for lure, tried different speeds, set backs, flasher, no flasher, willow leafs no leafs ...... uuugggggg

So looking in one of my trays for something that moves a little differently I grabbed a large (like 5"-6" long) Joe Butcher Musky Spinner and it was was like a light switch. Absolutely crazy - the vibration must have driven them to strike - it out produced my spoons, flatfish and anchovie rig easily. That was my last Laker trip but this lure has now a permanent spot in my Laker bag .... the only regret I had was not trying it sooner.

I nailed more lakers in the last 1/2 day of fishing compared to the total of the 3 days before that !!! Give it a go .... here's the one I used. I had fire tiger and, pretty soon of course, my buddy switched over and used a white one with a silver blade and they started hitting both.

https://www.muskyshop.com/bucktails/...-551-tin-buck/