View Single Post
Old 05-28-2018, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cschache View Post
Hey Vic, I just want to be fully prepared for any scenario shallow or deep to maximize my success, its 14-15 hours drive from where I live so a little preparation goes along way from past experience, like I tell my kids all the time, plan, prepare and execute! regardless of how successful I do I will be happy to just get out and fish a species that I have never really fished for! I love a challenge!
I hear ya. Just don't want you to overthink the problem. Get good gear (rod/reel/line) and bigger spoons than you would ever throw for pike here, and you'll be OK. If they are shallower, a light Williams Wabbler will do. If a little deeper, go with a Len Thompson #4 or #16 in the dimpled pattern. The heaviest one we fish regularly is a 300 series Eppinger Husky-Devle.

We use fish finders to find the drop-offs, and then the fish depth, and we have used downriggers set to a maximum of 30-40 feet.

We are headed to Reindeer Lake, so that is a 1050km - 13.5 hour drive for us. On the way out, we overnight in La Ronge, making it a quick and simple first day.

If you want more info, PM me.

Vic