View Single Post
Old 10-13-2017, 03:07 AM

Well, today was the day I got my first elk!

It is an average cow, so it's gotta be good eating

I am pretty sure I mentioned earlier, I had helped on a few elk hunts and posted a few pics from one of them earlier this year. However, I have never put an elk down myself before. I had plenty of opportunities in the past month or so, but I have never taken a shot due to the reason I explained somewhere above in this thread. Today worked out pretty well. Good wind, quite a few cows to choose from and a great shot: front of the chest and straight to the heart. She dropped right where she was standing and I actually missed this part. She was at about 250 yards and when I pulled the trigger, I heard the shot and then this smacking sound like when a bullet hits the flesh. That moment at recoil when you do not always see everything what happened and a moment later I see the elks taking off; not even running, jut half running/walking away casually. I did not realize she went down at that "recoil moment" and thought I had missed. My only thought, as they went down to the valley, was "I really hope I actually missed". The "down to the valley" part is where you do not want to put down an animal of this size: a very steep slope with lots of bush. Once the field was clear, I went to check for blood to only find the cow lying dead right where she was standing. Man, was I happy! It was a frontal shot with the bullet going through the chest and top of the heart.

Long story short, my props go out to my friend Danny, who came out to helped me with the quartering. I put her down a few minutes after the sunset, so there was not much light left to work on her. But low and behold

Thanks Danny! I am eternally grateful!

Hope you all are having a good season!

A couple of pictures from the days before walking the bush at/past sunset: