Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-27-2024, 09:50 AM

I usually wear a Kangaroo cooler made out of kangaroo hide and a full mesh crown. Stays cool, fully packable and never loses it's shape. I also have a Filson I bought many years ago that I wear when it's raining out. The shape never quite recovered after a buddy set two flats of beer on it in the back seat, but its got character.
Old 05-27-2024, 10:02 AM

Tilleys are (=were) great hats, but I don't think all of them are. I've had a few of the ones made from a synthetic material (2 varieties) and neither were breathable. Got very hot wearing them.

The original canvas (=not hemp) are the best all around, you can sweat your a** off in them and hose them off=all good. I wore out a few of these and got a free one @ no charge.

My most recent green one was my favorite, lost at some point (I think) a few years back..hoping it resurfaces when I eventually move. Not counting on that. I did go to their store then ultimately online to try and find a replacement, they've dropped all of their big sizes in all but a couple of their hat models...and I have a huge head. I'd have bought a life-time's supply of that last hat had I known Tilley was going to drop it. I sent a few emails to the company, but they're no longer a family business interested in customer service, got a very generic "F-you, but thanks for your interest in Tilley" replies back.

I'd still prefer a Tilley, but found this as an alternative and it's been very good. Has a wire rim around the outside edge which does it's job, I prefer the tilley with the thicker brim-could throw in the wash machine if you had to.

https://www.bigheadcaps.com/bigsize4...inalrdbtarphat
Old 05-27-2024, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Buffalo View Post
I wish I could find a hat that would look good on me.

When I try on any hat other than a ball cap, IncrediGirl just says I look Tilley.

Get the one TC wears. It did wonders for him!

Sent from my SM-S901W using Tapatalk
Old 05-27-2024, 12:03 PM

^^^ joking aside that's the one I think I'm settling on. Aussie breezer by Henschel. Now I just have to decide on colour.

Khaki is lighter. But I think the green and blue reflect UV rays better?
Old 05-27-2024, 12:10 PM

Good choice. The khaki is a good color, but it will show dirt more then the brown or olive color.

Was just looking at prices on them now. Yep, they've gone up! I think I paid $40 for mine. They last a long time though.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 05-27-2024, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Bacon View Post
Get the one TC wears. It did wonders for him!

Quote:
^^^ joking aside that's the one I think I'm settling on. Aussie breezer by Henschel. Now I just have to decide on colour.

Khaki is lighter. But I think the green and blue reflect UV rays better?
LOL! I really do like the style, may need to order one of those! I'll never be as suave as TC, but it's worth a shot!

Just need to find the right size for the square noggin...
Old 05-27-2024, 02:32 PM

Sauve. That's a first for me. Guess I'm not the only one who day drinks, eh Stinky?

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 05-28-2024, 12:14 PM

Costco had Tilly hats for a while, not sure which one it was. But they have also had Tilley pants and shirts lately.
Old 05-28-2024, 12:50 PM

Another Tilley Airflo user here. Great on the boat - blocks some sun from above, breathes well, and I'm not left with a snapback tan at the end of the day.

They don't get big by being dumb.
Old 05-28-2024, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
Sauve. That's a first for me. Guess I'm not the only one who day drinks, eh Stinky?

Shhhhh… No one must know!

Old 05-28-2024, 02:21 PM

Relax, there is no prohibition on mods day drinking. It's pretty much expected. Job perk.

Old 06-03-2024, 04:36 PM

Quote:
I'm thinking of adding one of these to my father's day / birthday list. I check them out when I'm in Cabelas. But not sure which would be better. I'd be wearing while fishing and camping and such.

What do you prefer?

Can't remember exactly what model I have but its a wide brim. I don't wear it a heck of a lot versus a baseball style, but if its very windy I'll use the Tilley, chin strap is a bonus, there is no doubt they are well made.

I bought mine directly from Tilley Canada online.
Old 06-04-2024, 11:26 PM

My FaceBook feed tells me that you can get Red Green hats again.
Old 06-04-2024, 11:56 PM

My dermatologist tells me never to go outside without a hat on - and no baseball caps that leave your ears and neck exposed! So I wear a Smithbilt black felt, wide brim ‘cowboy’ hat in the winter - Smithbilt is an old Calgary hat maker that makes a model specially for the Calgary Police Sevice that I like. In the summer, it’s a well ventilated straw PROHAT (motto: Forever on Top), that’s cool, and provides lots of shade. When fishing, I wear a Mexican wide brimmed palm leaf hat, with a chin strap, and a wide, home-made shearling lamb hatband, -that’s usually full of fishing flies by the end of the day! Palm-leaf hats don’t have much ventilation and are much warmer than straw hats - but provide total protection from the sun. In my 2 vehicles, I keep Australian well ventilated Kangol ‘flat top’ hats, because I like the short peak to shade my eyes when the sun’s low on the horizon. I don’t know why Jim Shockey wears his Kangol flat-tops backwards I guess he likes the little Kangaroo emblem facing forward! Cowboy hats just don’t work in vehicles with high headrests! For hunting, I’ve got a variety of toques and short brimmed hats - depending on the weather. But I’m never outside without a hat on!
And it always comes off when entering a house or a restaurant.
Old 06-05-2024, 08:21 AM

[QUOTE=thumper;4727946]My dermatologist tells me never to go outside without a hat on - and no baseball caps that leave your ears and neck exposed! So I wear a Smithbilt black felt, wide brim ‘cowboy’ hat in the winter - Smithbilt is an old Calgary hat maker that makes a model specially for the Calgary Police Sevice that I like. In the summer, it’s a well ventilated straw PROHAT (motto: Forever on Top), that’s cool, and provides lots of shade. When fishing, I wear a Mexican wide brimmed palm leaf hat, with a chin strap, and a wide, home-made shearling lamb hatband, -that’s usually full of fishing flies by the end of the day! Palm-leaf hats don’t have much ventilation and are much warmer than straw hats - but provide total protection from the sun. In my 2 vehicles, I keep Australian well ventilated Kangol ‘flat top’ hats, because I like the short peak to shade my eyes when the sun’s low on the horizon. I don’t know why Jim Shockey wears his Kangol flat-tops backwards I guess he likes the little Kangaroo emblem facing forward! Cowboy hats just don’t work in vehicles with high headrests! For hunting, I’ve got a variety of toques and short brimmed hats - depending on the weather. But I’m never outside without a hat on!
And it always comes off when entering a house or a restaurant.[/QUOTE]

??? Weird, obviously not a true Albertan!
Old 06-05-2024, 08:38 AM

[QUOTE=Mr Flyguy;4727987]
Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper View Post
My dermatologist tells me never to go outside without a hat on - and no baseball caps that leave your ears and neck exposed! So I wear a Smithbilt black felt, wide brim ‘cowboy’ hat in the winter - Smithbilt is an old Calgary hat maker that makes a model specially for the Calgary Police Sevice that I like. In the summer, it’s a well ventilated straw PROHAT (motto: Forever on Top), that’s cool, and provides lots of shade. When fishing, I wear a Mexican wide brimmed palm leaf hat, with a chin strap, and a wide, home-made shearling lamb hatband, -that’s usually full of fishing flies by the end of the day! Palm-leaf hats don’t have much ventilation and are much warmer than straw hats - but provide total protection from the sun. In my 2 vehicles, I keep Australian well ventilated Kangol ‘flat top’ hats, because I like the short peak to shade my eyes when the sun’s low on the horizon. I don’t know why Jim Shockey wears his Kangol flat-tops backwards I guess he likes the little Kangaroo emblem facing forward! Cowboy hats just don’t work in vehicles with high headrests! For hunting, I’ve got a variety of toques and short brimmed hats - depending on the weather. But I’m never outside without a hat on!
And it always comes off when entering a house or a restaurant.[/QUOTE]

??? Weird, obviously not a true Albertan!
Not true. I was born in Claresholm while my father was stationed there, I take my hat off going into a house or restaurant. Any old style restaurant the chairs had a cross hatch under the seat, or a hook on the back of the chair or a coat rack at each table; it was where you put your hat while in the restaurant. My Dad, who was born in Sask, raised in Vancouver, but spent 35 years in the military from age 15 (he used his older brothers I.D. to sign up during the second World War), he INSISTED that anyone that came into our house, remove headgear, it wasn't optional. Nor was it when you entered the mess anywhere.

My brother and I both still insist on the removal of headgear in the house or at the dinner table, even if eating outside. His kids do the same. Manners, like so much else, have eroded, but it still matters to many of us.

Last edited by Dean2; 06-05-2024 at 08:58 AM.
Old 06-06-2024, 08:35 AM

Don't try wearing a hat in pretty much any construction camp kitchen.
Old 06-06-2024, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper View Post
My FaceBook feed tells me that you can get Red Green hats again.
You bet the "Official Red Green Signature Field Maneuvers Cap.", go to: https://redgreen.com/products/offici...-maneuvers-cap

The official hat video:

https://cdn.shopify.com/videos/c/vp/...s-17961542.mp4
Old 06-06-2024, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotok View Post
Don't try wearing a hat in pretty much any construction camp kitchen.
Or the legion!

Old 06-16-2024, 11:19 AM

It doesn't look quite as good on me as it does on TC, but I got my hat today.

I can't wait to try it out in the sun. I'm sure I'll put many miles on it.

Thanks for all of the suggestions, fellas.

Old 06-16-2024, 11:20 AM

That'll keep you cool!

Old 06-16-2024, 05:06 PM

I was thankful for the chin strap on my Tilley hat today...
Old 06-16-2024, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Cox View Post
I was thankful for the chin strap on my Tilley hat today...
The Smithbilt campaign hat I wear while hunting has a chin strap - and yes it always cones off in places like someone's house or a restaurant.
Cat