Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-24-2024, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Dealerships make a profit as soon as you sign the purchase agreement, some profits are more than others. That's why YOU do your homework and don't be afraid to tell them to bugger off....amazing how quickly they back track and significantly lower the cost....just went through it....two months to find the right ride and price too that met our needs.

Like I mentioned good luck to the OP on this quest.
The manufacturers make a profit whether the dealers mark up the warranty or not, and the manufacturers are paying for the parts and labor for warranty repairs. So yes ,shopping around can reduce how much extra you pay, but the point is that the manufacturers are still making a profit, so a lot of people are not using their extended warranty enough to make it beneficial.
Old 05-24-2024, 11:32 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Them diesels can get costly real quick and usually poop the bed after warranty.
10k for this and 10k for that etc
Crazy.
Had a buddy go through this but had the extended warranty, in this case it was a blessing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 05-24-2024, 08:18 PM

Everything sold today has a direct or indirect profit. Someone is benefiting from the sale of pretty much everything.

Profit is not a bad word.

Every industry has to make money or they will not be there to service you when you need it. Even if your just there to buy parts.

If everything sold had no profit how would the economy prosper.

Don’t think warranty is worth it......good luck.

Ever notice that dealerships have one door in the front and 10 in the back

I wonder why

Even Toyota dealers........
Old 05-24-2024, 11:17 PM

On my f150 the drive train warranty was 5 years or 10000kms so I chose not to go with the extended warranty but went with the so called free oil changes and services which was not worth it in the end for I hardly drove my truck to match up the amount of services my truck got before the 5 years were up. If your driving your vehicle lots then forsure go with those packages but with these new vehicles it seems like something can go anytime so extended warranty could be helpful and or not. . 2018 f150 70,000kms air conditioning compressor gone 1800$ to fix that, just put a new computer in the truck or bcm that was 1300$ cause the god damn thing wouldnt stop flashing lights and alarms goin off in the middle of the night, horn honking when you turn on the hazards just unbelievable. Basically if your buying a new vehicle I’m not sure what the right call is and oh yeah I’m still on my last year of payments on the truck also and I’m paying thousands more to fix it before it’s even payed for. Just a kick in the nuts so yes get the extended warranty with these new trucks I guess in my case it would have come in handy.
Old 05-25-2024, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtsyneil View Post
On my f150 the drive train warranty was 5 years or 10000kms so I chose not to go with the extended warranty but went with the so called free oil changes and services which was not worth it in the end for I hardly drove my truck to match up the amount of services my truck got before the 5 years were up. If your driving your vehicle lots then forsure go with those packages but with these new vehicles it seems like something can go anytime so extended warranty could be helpful and or not. . 2018 f150 70,000kms air conditioning compressor gone 1800$ to fix that, just put a new computer in the truck or bcm that was 1300$ cause the god damn thing wouldnt stop flashing lights and alarms goin off in the middle of the night, horn honking when you turn on the hazards just unbelievable. Basically if your buying a new vehicle I’m not sure what the right call is and oh yeah I’m still on my last year of payments on the truck also and I’m paying thousands more to fix it before it’s even payed for. Just a kick in the nuts so yes get the extended warranty with these new trucks I guess in my case it would have come in handy.
What would a 7 year warranty have cost you? Would it have been more than the $3100 for those repairs? On my last two vehicles, the 7 year bumper to bumper warranty would have been over $4000.
Old 05-25-2024, 08:28 AM

Just purchased a VW Atlas and F350 Diesel. Got 10 year extended warranty on both. 200000 km on the Atlas and 150000 km on the Diesel. Peace of mind for the next 10 years made it worth it.
Old 05-25-2024, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
What would a 7 year warranty have cost you? Would it have been more than the $3100 for those repairs? On my last two vehicles, the 7 year bumper to bumper warranty would have been over $4000.
I’m not 100% sure how much it would have bin for the extended warranty or the extra 2 years after the first 5 year bumper to bumper was up. Just spending 3100 to fix compressor and bcm is enough to make a guy angry tho when a truck only has 70000kms on it and still owing till December.
Old 05-25-2024, 04:17 PM

Quote:
I’m not 100% sure how much it would have bin for the extended warranty or the extra 2 years after the first 5 year bumper to bumper was up. Just spending 3100 to fix compressor and bcm is enough to make a guy angry tho when a truck only has 70000kms on it and still owing till December.
Since when did an F150 come with 5 years bumper to bumper? More like 5 years power train, and A/C unit and computer aren't covered by power train warranty. Extending to 7 years bumper to bumper is more than doubling the factory bumper to bumper warranty.

Last edited by elkhunter11; 05-25-2024 at 04:23 PM.
Old 05-25-2024, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Since when did an F150 come with 5 years bumper to bumper? More like 5 years power train, and A/C unit and computer aren't covered by power train warranty. Extending to 7 years bumper to bumper is more than doubling the factory bumper to bumper warranty.
Salesman aren't very good at conveying that the average standard 5 year 60,000 or 100,000 KM warranty isn't a bumper to bumper warranty. When they tell you its a bumper to bumper read the fine print, factory bumper to bumper warranties are usually only 1 year or 12,000 km whichever comes first. The actual 5 year factory warranty after that generally only covers drivetrain, engine, trans, rear ends and in some instances the transfer case.
Factory Warranty cost is already hidden in the manufacturer suggested price, if you think your factory warranty is free think again. Additional warranties sold as an option or aftermarket warranties are nothing more than a mechanical repair insurance policy added to the dealers price.

If you drive your 4x4 as they are advertised in many commercials and something goes wrong many dealers will call it abuse and try to deny coverage. Then the fight starts. Your warranty is a combination that is only as good as your dealer and how tenacious your are in forcing them to honor it.
Old 05-25-2024, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post
Salesman aren't very good at conveying that the average standard 5 year 60,000 or 100,000 KM warranty isn't a bumper to bumper warranty. When they tell you its a bumper to bumper read the fine print, factory bumper to bumper warranties are usually only 1 year or 12,000 km whichever comes first. The actual 5 year factory warranty after that generally only covers drivetrain, engine, trans, rear ends and in some instances the transfer case.
Factory Warranty cost is already hidden in the manufacturer suggested price, if you think your factory warranty is free think again. Additional warranties sold as an option or aftermarket warranties are nothing more than a mechanical repair insurance policy added to the dealers price.

If you drive your 4x4 as they are advertised in many commercials and something goes wrong many dealers will call it abuse and try to deny coverage. Then the fight starts. Your warranty is a combination that is only as good as your dealer and how tenacious your are in forcing them to honor it.
Thanks for that maybe it will help elk understand that’s what I was trying to say.
Old 05-25-2024, 11:13 PM

I’m not sure if the compressor or the bcm would have bin covered by the 5 year power train warranty but if it happened in year 4or 5 I would have fought tooth and nail with ford to cover those costs on my 80000$ truck. Absolutely no reason for compressors and computers failing on a truck that never gets driven. Since this happened in year 6 and 7 I was forced to pay out of pocket to fix these issues with the truck. This is just what I’ve gone through with my truck and I’m sure others have had way more nightmare experiences than me. Just wanted to comment on the thread. Thanks.
Old 05-25-2024, 11:42 PM

Quote:
They are all designed to make the manufacturers/dealers money, so the consumer pays more. I never buy them , and I am so far ahead, that even if I buy a total lemon, it won't eat up all of my savings.
This is my mentality as well. The one thing I learned from my father (he doesn’t subscribe to this theory) is always buy used. Let someone else take the hit. Why pay PDI, shipping, etc, for something new, when you can buy almost new for nearly 35% less on a lease back or used?
Old 05-26-2024, 06:54 AM

Quote:
I’m not sure if the compressor or the bcm would have bin covered by the 5 year power train warranty but if it happened in year 4or 5 I would have fought tooth and nail with ford to cover those costs on my 80000$ truck. Absolutely no reason for compressors and computers failing on a truck that never gets driven. Since this happened in year 6 and 7 I was forced to pay out of pocket to fix these issues with the truck. This is just what I’ve gone through with my truck and I’m sure others have had way more nightmare experiences than me. Just wanted to comment on the thread. Thanks.
If you read the warranty, it specifies what is covered by the power train warranty, and a/c compressors are not covered, and neither are most electronics. A dealer can do a repair under warranty, a few thousand km past the 60,000km, or lie and claim the warranty under a vehicle that is still within the warranty period, but they can't put in a claim three years after your bumper to bumper warranty expired, and expect the manufacturer, to pay for it. The exception is situations where there are recalls, and the manufacturer extends the warranty on specific components. That is why the manufacturers charge so much extra to add 3-4 years to the basic 3 years

60,000km warranty. If you pay an extra $3-4000 to extend the bumper to bumper warranty to 7 years, it will cover most repairs that will likely be required during those extra 3-4 years. And given that most owners will not experience those problems, their warranties will pay
for the really big issues that some people encounter. Of course warranties should be better, given the cost of new vehicle repairs, but if the base warranty was better, they couldn't sell extended warranty.
Old 05-27-2024, 01:21 PM

Default Extended Warranty

Thanks for all the information and feed back.
Old 05-30-2024, 08:08 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronji View Post
Thanks for all the information and feed back.
Good on you, enjoy the new ride!!!!

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 05-30-2024, 09:32 AM

Default warranty

this is real easy, buy a Toyota or Nissan and forget the warranty.
Old 05-30-2024, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gevarm guy View Post
Nissan just issued a "do not drive" order for 84,000 vehicles. Nissan hasn't had a great reliability record, compared to Toyota.
Old 05-31-2024, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gevarm guy View Post
Exactly. No extended warranty required if you don't buy a Ford GM or Ram.