Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-14-2024, 08:58 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

A week of rain and wind then this right now.
Awesome!
6hr envelope then back to crap gotta make the most of it.

Good luck on your new set up and let us know how you made out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 06-14-2024, 09:21 AM

I envy you, I'd take a picture of my surroundings but it would just depress everyone.
Old 06-14-2024, 05:12 PM

I have a question for those running Deep 6 and Dipsey divers........why not Pink ladies? They can be reset in the water and you don't have to mess with the release mechanism to get the right release pressure.

Thanks in advance
Old 06-15-2024, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpineguy View Post
I have a question for those running Deep 6 and Dipsey divers........why not Pink ladies? They can be reset in the water and you don't have to mess with the release mechanism to get the right release pressure.

Thanks in advance

I ran pink ladies for many years just found that once it gets hit or lure gets a snag etc setting the pink lady goes to what I call neutral to reel in easily.
Now some can reset easily by going slack then it sets itself in theory and generally speaking I like to check things after a strike or snag to ensure the gear is good to go.
I changed to the deep six number two to get down to about 70fow or less depending on amount of line out and trolling speed. Play with the tension to get the locking mechanism dialled in and you’re good to go.
I also got the dipsy diver which I like too as you can set them up to be behind the boat but off to the side more.
90 percent of the time I run the deep six but will change it up to adjust to depth and species targeted.
Can’t hurt to have a few alternatives in the boat at all times.
Yesterday the lakers were very selective on what they wanted and after many kilometres covered I settled on apex trolling lure 4” slow troll in brown trout color which was the ticket trolled behind a willow leaf and deep six #2.
Found suspended bait balls in 130 fow and just trolled in and around them picking off lakers some that I marked and some not.

Old 06-15-2024, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpineguy View Post

Thanks in advance
I think 58 nailed the biggest reason ..... if you have 3 guys in boat and no downrigger, you can use a dipsy dailed hard left, one dialed neutral (straight down) and the third dialed hard right and you won't tangle up ..... and, the trip releases are not really that big of a deal - if you are dragging a flasher (or dodger) and/or cow bells/willow leafs and then a lure - you are going to want to make sure after a bump or bite it's still untangled and running right anyways - so you should pull in that line and check anyways.

It seems like 100% of the times you say "it's probably fine and not tangled" is when you notice that rod is dead and when you do pull it up it's all messed up.

So anytime a line isn't producing, trip it and check it. No such thing as as resetting it without pulling it up to check it in my mind .... nothing like dragging a tangled mess around the lake for an hour not knowing.
Old 06-15-2024, 01:07 PM

Thanks for the input.
We rarely have more than 2 in a boat so not too concerned about tangling. As for checking line and resetting after a bump I do that regularly. I guess I wasn't that clear but I can reset my PL in the water beside the boat and still see my lure to make sure nothing is tangled. Not a lot easier than bringing it into the boat as has to be done with the D 6 and Dipsey D but it is quicker.
Interested in the depth that can be reached though. It seems about the deepest I can get with a PL is 40'......do the others go deeper?
I have a couple D 6 but never liked using them but might have to try again if there was some advantage.
Old 06-15-2024, 02:01 PM

The Magnum Dipsys go to at least 60' plus with 20# braid. The big advantage is side planing. I ran mine on the 1.5 setting to each side. Keeps a good spread away from the other lines.
Old 06-16-2024, 08:22 AM

The deep 6 number two with 100 feet of 20lbs braid line out at 2mph ish trolling speed will get you down to 70fow.

Works great for us.