Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-30-2024, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
Came home to a poor start to the garden I planted 3.5 weeks ago. Potatoes are short but came up. No carrots came up. No kohlrabi. No corn. Only 5% of peas germinated.

Looks like I’ll replant. I suspect the cold weather and maybe some frost damage but hard to tell.

Oh well. It was worth a shot.
Carrots take time and be kept damp.Next week the nights get warmer.Mine haven't sprout either but they will.
Old 07-13-2024, 09:49 AM

Question Saskatoon blight or fungus remedies anyone?..

I have 4 Saskatoon bushes in my yard. They all fell prey to some type of blight of fungus this year. Tons of berries starting out but all but a few survived. Leaves all have small brown spots on them as well.

Any suggestions as to how to treat this for next year?

Thanks
Old 07-13-2024, 10:00 AM
Banned

My garden is well behind the average year. Potatoes still a week or two away, pea pods just beginning, beans not yet flowering, beets the size of a golf ball, carrots I’m eating, they’re only about the size of a jiffy marker though. I plant early and in I plant lots, vegetable sales pay my property taxes.

A month without sun really set things back. Now I’m watering, sheesh.
Old 07-18-2024, 03:02 PM

My Russian Heart (ox heart) tomatoes are going crazy.
I have 2-3 plants nearing 6 ft high now, and 10 or so about 5 ft.

Seeing a few dozen tomatoes golf ball size now (mid July)

Hoping for a 2 pounder to beat last years 1 lb 12 oz, my previous best.

TBark
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0580.jpg (32.8 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0579.jpg (26.5 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0584.jpg (49.4 KB, 22 views)
Old 07-18-2024, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjeda View Post
I have 4 Saskatoon bushes in my yard. They all fell prey to some type of blight of fungus this year. Tons of berries starting out but all but a few survived. Leaves all have small brown spots on them as well.

Any suggestions as to how to treat this for next year?

Thanks
Mummy berry. Very tough fungus to deal with.

This year my crop was bad but also not much watering. Lots of mummified berries. Last year I had a great crop. Difference being…

Last year I tiger torched around their base to cook any fallen fungus spreading mummy berries.

I pruned the tree hard

I sprinkled sulphur on the plants and ground.

This year the birds are having a field day on what’s left.

Oh well.

My strawberry crop was amazing.

Raspberries seem to be doing well.

Calgary’s water woes impacted my peas. Kohlrabi did okay for what sprouted. Potatoes are growing but likely water impacted also.
Old 07-19-2024, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
Mummy berry. Very tough fungus to deal with.

This year my crop was bad but also not much watering. Lots of mummified berries. Last year I had a great crop. Difference being…

Last year I tiger torched around their base to cook any fallen fungus spreading mummy berries.

I pruned the tree hard

I sprinkled sulphur on the plants and ground.

This year the birds are having a field day on what’s left.

Oh well.

My strawberry crop was amazing.

Raspberries seem to be doing well.

Calgary’s water woes impacted my peas. Kohlrabi did okay for what sprouted. Potatoes are growing but likely water impacted also.

Did you torch them in the spring or fall? I am guessing fall? my Saskatoons produced a ton of flowers but the fruit either has bugs or Mummy berries .
I am going to cut them down to ground level next spring along with my Nane king cherry bushes. Never got one flower on them and they were really slow to leaf out. Last year they grew like bad weeds. I think the cold and wet did them in this year. The darn porcupine who went to town over a weekend while we were out of town did not help either.
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 07-19-2024, 09:41 AM

Just commenting on gardening during Calgary's water restrictions. There are a few people on my block with water barrels. Most had enough water to make it through until stage 3 restrictions were lifted. Most years, water barrels are just a way of conserving water, but this year they were crucial to maintaining a productive garden. There are a lot of lessons to be learned from people who garden in the dry U.S. states.
Old 07-19-2024, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Sky View Post
Just commenting on gardening during Calgary's water restrictions. There are a few people on my block with water barrels. Most had enough water to make it through until stage 3 restrictions were lifted. Most years, water barrels are just a way of conserving water, but this year they were crucial to maintaining a productive garden. There are a lot of lessons to be learned from people who garden in the dry U.S. states.
Im amazed how long my potatoes went without,checking often I would still find moisture 4" down.All these years I may have been over watering?