Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 05-23-2024, 08:24 AM

Default Again

I have beavers swim by each morning and evening. They built a dam that flooded the road to my field. With no continuous weekly blasting, backhoes, shooting or trapping after May 15 they are NOT flooding my road any more. After draining the pond I floated a electric fence wire 3 inches above the water where they come to fix the dam. Now for 2 years I have no beaver problems.
Much cheaper and less work than what I used to do.
Old 05-23-2024, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antlercarver View Post
I have beavers swim by each morning and evening. They built a dam that flooded the road to my field. With no continuous weekly blasting, backhoes, shooting or trapping after May 15 they are NOT flooding my road any more. After draining the pond I floated a electric fence wire 3 inches above the water where they come to fix the dam. Now for 2 years I have no beaver problems.
Much cheaper and less work than what I used to do.
So the beavers went elsewhere to build a dam, whose property are they flooding now?
Old 05-23-2024, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waldedw View Post
Baby beavers are usually born in late Jan are are fully weaned in 8 - 12 weeks so by May they are no longer dependent on their mothers, in fact when she weans them she actually moves out of the house and the father takes over.

This is a lot of hub bub about nothing, beavers cause a pile of damage cutting down trees and flooding land and roads, for the most part these day's the pelt's are worthless hence the reason they have increased in numbers, I have a couple farmers that I have been cleaning out beavers for and never once gave a thought to staving the young ones.
The beavers are not weaned by May.
If you kill a female this time of year often, you can cut them open and see little 6 inch long unborn kits. I have been dealing with beavers for 60 years and have killed 100s. You can drain the water, they will fix it, you can remove all of them, more will move in. I put a electric fence wire and no more fixing the dam, any more beaver that move in, quickly move on, hopefully to a place where they will not be a problem.
Much less trouble ,cost and work .
Old 05-23-2024, 12:50 PM

Have you spoken with the county?

-Billy Molls
Old 05-23-2024, 03:21 PM

Watched the movie Grey owl last night eerily similar to this thread

Archie is a hardened trapper he decided to make more money by starting trapping earlier in the year, after trapping a beaver he was going to kill the kits his wife intervened taking the kits back their cabin to raise for later release, Archie softened up and never trapped again.

A true life Disney story
Old 05-24-2024, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikeslayer22 View Post
I do damage control for the county I live in. Catch between 5 to 800 a year. All I can say are they are very prolific breeders. Go back to same places year after year after year. Seem to do a lot of trapping in the sub divisions where everyone wants to live the dream in the forest with animals. Mostly tree huggers until something starts cutting down their trees and flooding them out. Humans footstep is growing rapidly every day.
If you are getting up to 800 beavers per year then you must be doing well. By trapping in the PROPER season and selling the properly skinned hide, selling the castors and selling the carcass to outfitters , we are making over $40 per beaver. You don`t have to go to the same places year after year if you do it right. Going out shooting is easy, not easy doing the responsible thing.
Old 05-24-2024, 08:55 AM

Quote:
If you are getting up to 800 beavers per year then you must be doing well. By trapping in the PROPER season and selling the properly skinned hide, selling the castors and selling the carcass to outfitters , we are making over $40 per beaver. You don`t have to go to the same places year after year if you do it right. Going out shooting is easy, not easy doing the responsible thing.
It's no more acceptable behavior to tell someone how to do their job than it is for an anti trapper to tell someone not to trap.
Old 05-26-2024, 09:18 AM

Default Killing beavers JUNE JULY

Why is it illegal to kill sow bears with cubs but OK to kill beavers in June, July and leave the kits to starve. There are better, easier and cheaper ways of dealing with nuisance beaver.
Old 05-26-2024, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Why is it illegal to kill sow bears with cubs but OK to kill beavers in June, July and leave the kits to starve. There are better, easier and cheaper ways of dealing with nuisance beaver.
Really?
This is the first I've heard of it.
Old 05-26-2024, 01:35 PM

Quote:
By limiting the season on killing nuisance beavers it is worse, difficult and more expensive than year round control.
5 months of the trapping season means no shooting because of ice.
Trapping though ice is far more labour intensive than trapping open water.
When the goal is to remove a lot of beaver your solution is not reasonable.
As for bears, if you have a problem sow with cubs F&W will tell you if you kill the sow then you need to kill the cubs.
I've been told that right from the horses mouth.
You cant compare sport hunting to problem wildlife to justify your cause.
You have yet to convince over 2 dozen on here that you are right.
Maybe it's because we can see the forest behind the trees.