Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-11-2023, 04:17 PM

Default Replaced Poly-B pipe

Well had it done yesterday! Every inch of it! done! gone and feel good about it!
House was built in 95. Had the basement finished 3 years ago. And the guy in charge said "well you have Poly-B". So they put new pipe where we doing hard wall celling. and we could do the rest in time as we were using drop celling on the rest! But knowing what I know now, I wish I would have it done it all before the redo! But it's done and happy with the replacement!
Old 01-11-2023, 06:46 PM

How much for the re piping?
Old 01-11-2023, 07:11 PM

Have not got the bill yet!
Old 01-11-2023, 07:25 PM

Fellow I know that had it done ... realtor said budget $5000 when he was buying the house. Bought the house and when he went to have the work done it was $20,000.
Old 01-11-2023, 07:29 PM

The understanding that I have! Is you can sell your house at a reduced cost! But the buyer has to do a redo within a year! That is through an insurance agent!
Old 01-11-2023, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCLightning View Post
Fellow I know that had it done ... realtor said budget $5000 when he was buying the house. Bought the house and when he went to have the work done it was $20,000.
I think it has a lot to do with how much dry-wall you have to cut out and replace. And how many levels your house is! Must have been a big house!!!!
Old 01-11-2023, 07:57 PM

Had it done this fall, two level, three bathrooms, laundry and kitchen. Demo and replacement cost a little over $6000. That’s not including and drywall repairs as I did those myself.
Old 01-11-2023, 08:00 PM

Wonder if a class action law suit could be started ? Someone should be held accountable.

Grizz

Isaiah 5:8
Old 01-11-2023, 08:07 PM

It ended years ago! Nothing can be done now! BS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams1 View Post
Wonder if a class action law suit could be started ? Someone should be held accountable.

Grizz
Old 01-11-2023, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badbrass View Post
It ended years ago! Nothing can be done now! BS!
The class action covered new pipe only - nothing for installation cost. I still have my poly-b that is encased in concrete.
Old 01-11-2023, 08:31 PM

The plumber that did the job said that It was all about the sunlight that contacted the pipe before it was installed! If it was kept inside and never saw direct sunlight you prob never have a problem. But if it was kept in the yard? Who knew!

Quote:
The class action covered new pipe only - nothing for installation cost. I still have my poly-b that is encased in concrete.
Old 01-11-2023, 08:42 PM

And will prob be ok for years!
Quote:
Old 01-12-2023, 05:45 AM

I replaced the Poly B in my house. It cost about 300 for the pex and fittings. It took a few hours of work and it is time consuming. Way easier if the basement isn't finished. I can't believe the prices I'm hearing for doing this. A simple house layout at 6000 dollars. Unbelievable. If you have a 2 story house it's way more work but you can still do it yourself.
Old 01-12-2023, 07:59 AM

Default Insurance

You might want to check with your insurer. We had a bit of poly-B and called our insurance agent, we were told that if there was a claim that was caused by the poly-B, there would be no coverage. Apparently the same goes for aluminum wiring.

Downside with waiting for a failure is that there can be a lot of damage (tends to get weeps and pinholes) that often go unnoticed until the drywall is saturated. Once this happens you can't wait for the repairs and DIY becomes less of an option.

In pulling out our poly, a very smart plumber who tosses cabers was key. I cut drywall so all lines were exposed. Took one day to run new lines for just our ensuite, I reran the lines to the downstairs bathroom. I also looked after the drywall repairs.

I'd estimate that 15% of the pipe in the house was replaced and the total cost was just over a grand. I'd guess if this was totally hired out, the drywall work would be worth as much as the plumbing.

Truly a PITA but a huge risk if you wait.
Zeke
Old 01-12-2023, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landshark View Post
I replaced the Poly B in my house. It cost about 300 for the pex and fittings. It took a few hours of work and it is time consuming. Way easier if the basement isn't finished. I can't believe the prices I'm hearing for doing this. A simple house layout at 6000 dollars. Unbelievable. If you have a 2 story house it's way more work but you can still do it yourself.
Depends on how much patching and painting, not to mention lines in inaccessible locations, the material is the cheap part, labor is the killer. I have had Poly B in my house for 30+ years, never had a problem, but insurance companies are getting pickier, even copper is becoming questionable according to a lady I know, who had her insurance company do an inspection on her house. She ended up switching insurers instead. These things are always a lot cheaper if you can do them yourself.

Grizz

Old 01-12-2023, 08:53 AM

Us too, 27 years in this house and no problems! But we did not want our kids to have to tend to the PITA when we pass on, or if we want to sell before that!
Now we have neighbor's asking what we had done? and why! And some of them are going to sell in the next year! They also are getting quotes to get the same done! They did not know about the problem! Just happy to have it done!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams1 View Post
Depends on how much patching and painting, not to mention lines in inaccessible locations, the material is the cheap part, labor is the killer. I have had Poly B in my house for 30+ years, never had a problem, but insurance companies are getting pickier, even copper is becoming questionable according to a lady I know, who had her insurance company do an inspection on her house. She ended up switching insurers instead. These things are always a lot cheaper if you can do them yourself.

Grizz

Last edited by badbrass; 01-12-2023 at 09:10 AM.
Old 01-12-2023, 09:16 AM

Hopefully this isn’t too dumb of a question- has anyone had success feeding the new pex in by attaching it to the old piping and fishing it through?

I’m in the middle of a bathroom demo and am replacing any poly b in the process
Old 01-12-2023, 09:31 AM

It might not work! The Poly will have holders on them and nailed to the studs or floor joist so they do not rattle when in use, and keep them out of the way! Might create a problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Buffalo View Post
Hopefully this isn’t too dumb of a question- has anyone had success feeding the new pex in by attaching it to the old piping and fishing it through?

Old 01-12-2023, 09:58 AM

Quote:

Sometimes it works, other times there are tee’s, elbows or even just couplings that will interfere. Pulling around a corner can kink tubing, but you can always try and then resort to removing drywall, etc if that doesn’t work.
Old 01-12-2023, 10:49 AM

Thanks, Caber. From what I can tell there are a minimum of tees/elbows (there's another reason I want to get going with the replacement - some of the bends look a bit severe to me) and all of the lines do a home run to the manifold in the service room. Thankfully I have a drop ceiling in the basement; it's just the two baths in the second storey that will be tricky.
Old 01-12-2023, 11:41 AM

Quote:

Worth a try on short runs. OD is basically the same.

Grizz

Old 01-12-2023, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badbrass View Post
It might not work! The Poly will have holders on them and nailed to the studs or floor joist so they do not rattle when in use, and keep them out of the way! Might create a problem.
Yup, those are what are going to be the biggest issue, I think. Will have to try and see.

I'm awful with drywall finishing and paint - thankfully IncrediGirl has a better touch with it than I do.
Old 01-12-2023, 12:00 PM

Quote:

One would think you could do that but there will be clamps on the old poly so it will certainly try your patience. I wouldn't cut holes in the drywall until you run into trouble pulling it out. Anywhere the poly runs horizontally it will be clamped onto the joists etc. Running vertically it may not have any clamps. You will have to cut a hole in the drywall where the connections are made to the shower/tub mixers, regardless.
There is a proper way of cutting holes in drywall to allow for an easier repair. Don't use a hammer to bash things out. If you need a lesson on how to do this, send me a PM. Glad to help.
Old 01-12-2023, 12:01 PM

In some instances when pulling in new tubing (esp around bends), it's helpful to have a helper pushing from the other end.

I've seen some people who waited to replace some sections of poly-b & put in valves to be able to isolate an area until their renovation advanced to that part. The intent being to leave a functioning washroom while fully renovating the other(s), for instance.
Old 01-12-2023, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landshark View Post
You will have to cut a hole in the drywall where the connections are made to the shower/tub mixers, regardless.
There is a proper way of cutting holes in drywall to allow for an easier repair. Don't use a hammer to bash things out. If you need a lesson on how to do this, send me a PM. Glad to help.
Thank you, will do! I'm planning on renewing the bathrooms so that's going to make it easier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
In some instances when pulling in new tubing (esp around bends), it's helpful to have a helper pushing from the other end.
Exactly - I was planning on conscripting an unsuspecting household member or two for this... Heh heh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
I've seen some people who waited to replace some sections of poly-b & put in valves to be able to isolate an area until their renovation advanced to that part. The intent being to leave a functioning washroom while fully renovating the other(s), for instance.
Exactly - I was planning on putting inline shutoffs where I can reach them. The fun part is that I'll likely need to make poly-b to Pex conversions here and there to accommodate them.
Old 01-12-2023, 01:25 PM

Will likely be putting our house up for sale this year.. house was built in 91 and does have Poly-B; certainly has been one of my concerns about selling. Guess we will see what kind of hit we take on the house as a result.

DR
Old 01-12-2023, 02:05 PM

I'm not a plumber, so maybe Caber could reply . . .

It's my understanding that it's OK to have Poly-B in your house, as long as the fittings are the more modern copper type (not the older plastic ones), and your water is not chlorinated (i.e. well water).

What say you, Caber? 🙂

Selkirk
Old 01-12-2023, 03:02 PM

Our house had the copper inserts! Does not matter! Is what I was told!
Old 01-12-2023, 03:41 PM

But also while we had our wall's opened up we got changed out to new bath and shower taps, as they used Poly-B going to the shower head also, and new taps on the bathroom sinks, all new shutoffs on all of the lines!
As said before the house is getting 27 years old and while you have it opened up you might as while change to new!
Old 01-12-2023, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selkirk View Post
I'm not a plumber, so maybe Caber could reply . . .

It's my understanding that it's OK to have Poly-B in your house, as long as the fittings are the more modern copper type (not the older plastic ones), and your water is not chlorinated (i.e. well water).

What say you, Caber? 🙂

Selkirk

Those philmac (or whatever) plastic fittings and valves that were used with polybutylene were very short term things before they were nixed. I do see a fair # of poly-b tubing failures so I don’t trust the stuff whatsoever, it’s going to be a big market to repipe all the homes built or renovated during those years, approx ‘85 to ‘93. I was even putting the stuff in when it was new, fat lot we knew about it then. Its failure is among the reasons I can sometimes take a while to adopt new products. These days there are poly fittings available for use with Pex tubing that have been around for years now (helpful for things like furnace or boiler condensate drains as the condensate will eat through brass, being mildly acidic)