Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 08-11-2016, 01:48 PM

Default Sinking leader for streamers??

Hey Fellas,

Typically do you use sinking leaders for streamers? I know some people that just tie them on normal leaders and stip them near the surface...just wondering what type of conditions would call for either technique.

Thanks!
Old 08-11-2016, 02:30 PM

I may be unaware what sinking leaders are, but for streamers I want to get down a bit I use fluro rather than mono. Mono for dries. unless I'm too lazy to change, then it's whatever LOL
Old 08-11-2016, 04:55 PM

Rio and Cabelas, and a few others have similar products to what I use.

http://www.orvis.com/p/7-trout-and-1...olyleader/1r5g

I use the Orvis 10 foot salmon poly super fast sinking leader to get streamers and big nymphs down deep into the holes I want. Use the loop to get it on my fly line, then usually less than a meter of 1x or 2x tippet to tie the streamer/nymph on.

They are a little pricey for a leader, but i've been using the same one for 4-5 years and no issues with it so I think it's worth the money. Really gets your fly/streamer down deep in a hurry. Caught many a bull trout with it.
Old 08-11-2016, 05:39 PM

Why not use a sink tip fly line? A 10ft type 6 sink tip works great in the Bow
Old 08-11-2016, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Shortington View Post
Hey Fellas,

Typically do you use sinking leaders for streamers? I know some people that just tie them on normal leaders and stip them near the surface...just wondering what type of conditions would call for either technique.

Thanks!
I have an extra spool with an integrated sink tip. I think the sinking section is 5m. With a sink tip, I tend to use about 1m 14# fluoro leader.

Sink tips/sinking leaders are used if you need to get a fly down quickly like a short pocket with a fast current or using an unweighted fly like your typical steelhead fly. Many of our mountain streams will have very deep pools that are only a few metres long. Without a sink tip of some sort, you will never fish the entire column.

Most of the bow river I would still use a floating line with a fairly heavy fluoro leader, I would cast at a 45 degree angle. If I need the fly to sink further, I would cast straight or even a little upstream, make a series of mends, then swing the fly normally.
Old 08-11-2016, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldscud View Post
Why not use a sink tip fly line? A 10ft type 6 sink tip works great in the Bow
I find it far easier to be able to switch between dry fly fishing and streamer/nymphing when I use a sinking leader vs. a different spool of line.
Old 08-11-2016, 06:24 PM

I use Airflo sink tips in various lengths depending on the type of streamer I'm fishing. Usually a very short flouro leader.
Old 08-12-2016, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Baum View Post
I find it far easier to be able to switch between dry fly fishing and streamer/nymphing when I use a sinking leader vs. a different spool of line.
One of the reasons I love fly fishing is that everybody has their method. It is kind of like handwriting---it does not need to be pretty to effective. I have messy handwriting.

I have a friend with the same ideology as you. Fiddling with leaders drives me bonkers, but he much prefers it over switching spools. I think switching spools is faster when you take into account the extra care when switching leaders, which is my biggest issue I have with leaders and sink tips---you have to spool them up and store them nicely to re-use them.

But the one thing that is hard to argue with is the economics of a sinking leader---$20 and you are good to go. About $100 for an extra spool and $75 for a sink tip line makes switching spools 8-9 times more expensive than a leader/sinktip.
Old 08-12-2016, 09:04 AM

I just bring 2 reels (floater and sink tip). I have noticed that folks not using a sink tip may not get their flies down in front of the fish's face as effectively. When floating we have 3 rods rigged up for different kinds of fishing. I guess if you are happy with the number of fish you are getting then your technique works for you.