Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 07-26-2015, 08:53 PM

Default question with the puppy

Hello All
I have a 7 month GSP , and was wondering if there is anywhere in southern Alberta where I would be able to take him for a walk and get him a little exposure to some live birds. I have been training him pretty good with dummies and such but would like to see how he does out in a true field environment. He is very good , and I would be able to control him from hurting birds as he has run after a few in off leash parks here in the city , but he will come back when called. Just trying to get him ready for hunting season , or even see if he will be ready for hunting season.
Thanks
Old 07-26-2015, 11:02 PM

Have you tried Frank lake near high river. I'm not sure what the wild bird population is like there but it is a pheasant release site. I'm not too knowledgeable on the area around Calgary but if you come through Lethbridge I can point you in the right direction.
Old 07-26-2015, 11:08 PM

Give wwbirds a shout. He might be able to help you out. He trains dogs as well as having a shooting preserve for pheasants.
Old 07-27-2015, 05:08 AM

Default bird experience

Some guys have frozen birds that they put out to give their dogs a bit of bird experience.
X2 on giving wwbirds a shout. He lives near langdon and can set you up with a few birds. At least this way you are guaranteed to let your dog get some scent.
I really like to discourage people from going out looking for wild birds this early, as the young birds can only fly a short distance and the dogs find them fairly easy to catch.
Old 07-27-2015, 07:07 AM

Lots of NAVHDA members in Calgary and area and lots of members of Calgary pointing club as well. Take a look at their sites, I'm sure there are a number of ppl that would help you out. Lots with GSP's as well. Congrats on the pup. Nice breed.
Old 07-27-2015, 07:25 AM

Are there any good bird/dog trainers in around the Edmonton area?
Old 07-27-2015, 07:38 AM

Default Good advice here ..

Huns are the size of sparrows .....still a little early ....lots of help
At Wwbirds .... ..
Old 07-27-2015, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACKLEY ABE View Post
Lots of NAVHDA members in Calgary and area and lots of members of Calgary pointing club as well. Take a look at their sites, I'm sure there are a number of ppl that would help you out. Lots with GSP's as well. Congrats on the pup. Nice breed.
Schaffer and I got a Wildrose NAVHDA membership and attended several training events this year. It was very helpful. Pretty much the only events remaining for this year are the mock test and testing weekends, AFAIK.
I've been unable to find any info on the Calgary Pointing Dog Club. Their website no longer exists, and the most recent info online seems to be from 2013.
I would prefer to wait on wild birds at this time.

"This Brittany is my most cherished possession — the darndest bird-finder I have ever seen, a tough and wiry little dog with a choke-bored nose and the ability to read birds’ minds." -Jack O'Connor

Last edited by alacringa; 07-27-2015 at 08:40 AM.
Old 07-27-2015, 09:35 AM

Smile Is he running in the NA stake?

If so I'd recommend buying a few birds and take them home with you. You won't be shooting them so they will last a long time.

Also Abe is right but we have introduced a "fun hunt" after the test weekend, were the dogs and hunters work in teams of 2. Schaefer will love it.