Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-16-2013, 03:51 PM

Default Texas: Austin - San Antonio?

Going down to Texas in May this year for a cousins wedding. Just wondering if anyone has been in the Austin - San Antonio area fishing?

Specifically I am wondering if renting a boat is an option, or a necessity?

Can you fish just as easy from shore and still have a great time or do you need to get out on the lake?

Would anybody recommend a guide/charter for a day, or is it easy enough to go it on your own?

Also, never fished for bass in my life, are there any must do techniques/presentations that I should learn to increase my odds of catching fish, or is it just figuring out what they are biting on that day and fish that lure?

Thanks for any advice, also if there are any must hit spots to see in that area of Texas please let me know. First time there so would like to make the most of it.

Thanks.

Jacobin
Old 01-16-2013, 09:46 PM

I Lived in austin for 2 years and texas for 5. I'm not a huge fisherman but we did get out for bass a few times. Caught some. They aren't easy but some of those boys take it serious. I would highly recommend a guided trip if you want to catch fish. Like I said we aren't good but from what I saw its completely different from my fishing in canada. If I remember right lake traverse was a big hit for the serious guys. Sorry I couldn't help more but if a big bass is a dream of yours I'd charter. Good luck. I have some buddies in dallas that would take you but its a long drive ha ha.
Old 01-16-2013, 09:51 PM

Here's a red drum I caught off the shore in corpus christie. Its the only fish I caught from the shore down there. You can get lucky but there's a lot of pressure.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 109.jpg (23.8 KB, 10 views)
Old 01-16-2013, 09:56 PM

My biggest bass. Like I said get a guide ha ha. Again I'm not a great fisherman but that what I recommend.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 112.jpg (31.5 KB, 12 views)
Old 01-16-2013, 10:08 PM

Sorry lake travis is where we went.