Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-02-2013, 07:16 AM

Default White tail advice

We are heading out to 316/412/414 this weekend in search of Whitetail or muleys (and maybe elk with the bow).... are the Deer answering to calls this early? if so which call works best?

I picked up one of those buck bombs... anyone have any luck with them?

thank you for your comments.
Old 10-02-2013, 07:54 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

I tossed a buck bomb at a bachelor group of bucks last year, landed just short of them but well within range, startled them a bit but the "bomb" did not go off just kinda hissed and gave off a stink that I got in my eyes when havin' a closer looksey

Rub antlers against trees, lightly rattle, odd grunt, doe bleat does not hurt as you might get something to come in out of curiosity. Buck bomb, sure a couple sprays does not hurt either. Have fun and good luck!
Old 10-02-2013, 01:04 PM

Right now, well actually always, they're slaves to their stomachs. I would just set up on a travel route, get elevated and patiently wait. She's a wee bit early for the ol' deer whistle and horns to anything of real value IMO. Im not saying it would't work but I generally find they work better closer to the November rut. Not too many bucks lookin for a scrap right now. Like 58thecat said, more curiosity than anything and possibly some very light sparing. As for the Buck Bomb, Baahhh, never had much luck with any of that crap although Golden Estrus has always done wonders for me but again near the peak of the rut.
Old 10-02-2013, 09:17 PM

I'm looking for them same advise. I just got my Alberta residents and with my schooling the course I'm taking right now is sending me to bc for work cause of lay offs and would really like to get an Alberta whitetail. I'm in fort Mcmurray and been walking some cut lines south of town and have only seen one doe. stayed at spots where I have seen lots of track watching them for the last hour of the hunt and not having much luck seeing anything does anyone have some pointers would be very helpful. thanks Rob
Old 10-03-2013, 01:07 AM

A fawn cry would bring in does and maybe a curious young buck. Mostly does. The spots are just rubbing off of the fawns now.

Otherwise a patient sit on some of the trails you mention. Not just last light though. Alot of deer move around between 9 am and 1 in the afternoon. Try to find natural funnels and travel corridors. Take a good look at your hunting area with google earth. Hopefully google earth will reveal some tidbits of info.
Old 10-03-2013, 06:07 AM

was in 412 last weekend seen 7 wt bucks, 1 big guy the others small, find some good trails and get off the road, even a few hundreds yards and you'll start seeing deer, the smaller bucks espically the mules well come and check out rattling and grunting, the big guys could care less, they still need another month, did come across a scrape line last weekend.