Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-05-2024, 01:33 PM

Default Moose & Elk Camp 2024

Well I have 10 days left to get the rest of my poop in a group before the convoy heads for moose and elk camp for the 2024 season, I drew a bull moose tag for the calling season that opens Sept 24th, I also have a general 3 point bull elk tag in my pocket which opens Sept 17th, we will have 2 more 3 point elk tags in camp as well.

This will be year 46 for me, my first moose / elk camp was in 1978, every year is a bonus, I keep thinking man this is a lot of work getting ready for a 3 week stay in the bush but once I get moving the excitement builds. It's a real family hunting camp so to speak with my BIL, 3 nephews and a friend and his son that have been hunting with us for 20+ years now. Throughout the course of 3 weeks we will have 7 guy's in and out as work dictates, 3 of us old retired guy's will be there for the entire 20 days.

Years ago I started making pre made meals and freezing them before hand, makes suppers so much more enjoyable as we can sit by the fire with our favorite beverage while supper warms in the little BBQ's, 20 minutes and it's chow time. I just finished the last of 60 meals today, pork loin with potatoes veggies and gravy and sweet and sour ribs with rice, I also made chicken alfredo, chili, stew, Italian sausage and pasta and hunters sausage with potatoes and veggies, I think we will be OK for grub 🤣. I'll stick a few pics on the bottom for you to drool on 😜 of course we will have a bunch of elk and moose jerky for snacks. lunch is usually just sandwiches and everyone fends for themselves, breakfast is coffee and muffins and homemade granola bars that some of the wives send along.
Chicken Alfredo.jpg

Stew.jpg

Sweet & Sour Ribs.jpg

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 09-05-2024, 01:36 PM

Default A few More

I also did a bucket of beet and onion fridge pickles as that is kind of a staple in camp
Pork Loin.jpg

Beet & Onion Pickles.jpg

Italian Sausage & Pasta.jpg

Old 09-05-2024, 01:44 PM

Whether at the trap cabin during trapping season or hunting out of a wall tent, we also find ourselves eating like kings, meal prep goes a long way as days are short to begin with and meal prep ensures time afield is maximized. Time spent around the fire at camp is irreplaceable
An abundance of fish, upland birds, and waterfowl also allows potting meals in conjunction with those previously prepared. Once the tags are filled, can't beat fresh heart and tenderloins.
Old 09-05-2024, 02:19 PM

Looks outstanding. You feed your crew very well!
Old 09-05-2024, 03:43 PM

Sounds like a great time. My goal in life is to retire from my job and have one of my kids or grandkids or other relative take over the farm while I'm still fit enough to spend 20 days in the bush.

Gerry Burnie
Old 09-05-2024, 03:55 PM

Should be an awsum trip Ed.
Old 09-05-2024, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waldedw View Post
I also did a bucket of beet and onion fridge pickles as that is kind of a staple in camp
Attachment 191590

Attachment 191591

Attachment 191592
Are those individual portion sizes?
Old 09-05-2024, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatboyz View Post
After a day of hiking and hunting hard a meal like that gets plowed through like teenagers on a loaf of bread. Lol. Never hurts to have some left over for a midnight rum buzz snack !!
Old 09-05-2024, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatboyz View Post
Yup they are individual meals, frozen in 2 lb tinfoil trays with lids, all labeled, I take them out to thaw at lunchtime then set in the little BBQ when we come in for the night 20 minutes and chow down boys.

Old 09-05-2024, 07:04 PM

Yummy, looks like you guys are very well prepared. Good luck on your hunt.
Old 09-05-2024, 07:48 PM

Those meals look delicious. A heck of a lot of prep ahead of time but worth its weight in hold as you said to maximize your hunting and socializing time. You’re a lucky man! Can’t wait to see the harvest pics! You’re also living my retirement dream god willing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-05-2024, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunkerhunter View Post
Those meals look delicious. A heck of a lot of prep ahead of time but worth its weight in hold as you said to maximize your hunting and socializing time. You’re a lucky man! Can’t wait to see the harvest pics! You’re also living my retirement dream god willing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes your correct the time spent now means more time spent hunting, the more that can be done now is less that has to be done in camp, that 20 or 30 minutes waiting for the meals to heat sitting by the fire with a beverage is pure gold, listening to everybody and especially the boy's talking about their day is priceless.

Old 09-05-2024, 08:24 PM

Enjoy the heck out of it Wald. That's an impressive bunch of yummies you've made up there. 2nd only to the impressive number of hunts you and your family/friends have enjoyed together. Great job folks. So happy for you and I again look forward to the stories. As you said, priceless.
Old 09-05-2024, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Hutchinson View Post
Enjoy the heck out of it Wald. That's an impressive bunch of yummies you've made up there. 2nd only to the impressive number of hunts you and your family/friends have enjoyed together. Great job folks. So happy for you and I again look forward to the stories. As you said, priceless.
x2

All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent. Edmund Burke
Old 09-06-2024, 10:05 AM

Great post!

Our group does something similar. Each guy will bring a couple of frozen meals/trimmings to feed the clan suppers. Usually lots of leftovers! We have a deep freeze at camp so all good there.

We are leaving on Sep25 for moose and elk for at least ten days...can't wait!...
Old 09-06-2024, 10:35 AM

Oh my goodness that's some amazing food. Your group is lucky.

Too lazy to do that but used heat up pasta and chicken type meals in a foil bag many times out of the wall tent. Big pot on the wood stove, drop in the meals and go hunt. Come back at dark to a hot supper.
Old 09-14-2024, 08:24 PM

That's a real feather in your hat. Hopefully this is something the young kids will always cherish and hold dear to them.
Old 09-14-2024, 09:43 PM

Slow clap to you, sir. Well done. Looks outstanding. May the hunting gods smile upon you.
Old 09-16-2024, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waldedw View Post
Yes your correct the time spent now means more time spent hunting, the more that can be done now is less that has to be done in camp, that 20 or 30 minutes waiting for the meals to heat sitting by the fire with a beverage is pure gold, listening to everybody and especially the boy's talking about their day is priceless.
Man, that's what group hunting is all about.

Amazing what a bit of hard work ahead of time on the prep of the hunt makes hunting all the easier.

I just came back from a solo 9 day elk hunt, with all meals prepped, but no-where near the prep you have put in, but man it makes the meal times that much more enjoyable.

Enjoy your hunt!
Old 09-25-2024, 06:08 AM

One elk down Sept 20th the old boys had to show the young fellows how to geter done again, moose opened yesterday I had one one the go but couldn't close the deal before dark, ill get after him again this morning with my sexy cow call and see what happens sorry can upload pic of elk, crappy service here, but he's a nice big 5 x 5

Old 09-25-2024, 07:19 AM

Nicely done.. can’t wait for the story when you get back home.