Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 10-30-2008, 02:57 PM

Default Half**s Fish shack

Has anybody taken an old dome tent and cut the floor out? I have a 6 man dome I am thinking of cutting a 48" square out of the center of. Any thoughts suggestions or stories from others??
Old 10-30-2008, 05:45 PM
Albertahog

sounds like a good idea can i ask what colour it is .
Old 10-30-2008, 06:09 PM
Eyeswideshut

Make a ply wood floor for it,.. foldable with a couple hinges and holes cut for fishing use the floor inside the tent. Get a dark tarp to use to cover it and absorb heat from the sun to heat it. Voila
Old 10-30-2008, 07:10 PM

We did that when I was a kid but we just cut squares out of the floor and left them as flaps so the floor is still somewhat in tack.Worked great
Old 10-30-2008, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertahog View Post
sounds like a good idea can i ask what colour it is .

Ummm Purple and grey I think. It has been several years since I have seen it. It is out of my FIL's garage.
Old 10-31-2008, 02:28 PM

Me and some buddies used an old canvas 10x10 tent once. We chopped out our hole first, and then placed the tent and then cut the floor. We just cut an X, and folded the flaps underneath. Worked great, had a nice little heater, everyon could strech out and relax, just had to be carful not to step into the hole getting around all the crap we had in there...lol
Old 10-31-2008, 02:52 PM

I'd be worried about the tent bottom freezing to the ice; you haven't run into any trouble with that?
Old 10-31-2008, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appletree View Post
I'd be worried about the tent bottom freezing to the ice; you haven't run into any trouble with that?
I bought a 4 man ice shelter last year from Cabela's and the thing had a floor to it , like you say Appletree , it froze to the ice , needless to say It no longer has a floor in it . I wanna get rid of it and get a nice ice cube those things are the cats meaw.
Old 11-03-2008, 05:31 PM

If I were to do the same thing you are thinking about I would cut the floor in a fashion so that you could turn the floor to the outside of the tent and then pile snow on the edges made by it.

The color of the tent can be a factor because the walls themselves can work as a filter. They will remove certain colors from the spectum of light as the light passes through the wall. Some particular colors of the spectrum may be better for veiwing fish or your presentation down the hole.

I like Eye'swideshut's point about using a dark color preferably black for absorbing heat also though.

A more durable floor could come in handy but they've been making tents with no floor for years. They are lighter and easier to pack, for some people these are the traits required.

If you were to consider a wooden floor than I'd suggest making the whole thing out of wood, or atleast a very sturdy wooden base with pop up canvas top. Put some skiis on the thing and pull it. I actually have one made of woodw with skii's and a pop up style canvas. With some pics I could give you an idea how we built ours. But I'm sure there are plenty of good designs out there.

If I ever draw my sword on you, may the good lord strike me dead.

Luck is just an excuse for poor fishing

B.O.G warriors for life!!! Boots On the Ground!!