Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 04-10-2014, 08:48 PM

Default Over/Unders for Clays and Hunting

Any recommendations on makes/models?

I took my wife to Silver Willow last weekend and she really liked it, but we discovered she shoots left handed (I don't). Lacking a shotgun, I wanted to parlay that trip into a semi-auto purchase, but the right side discharge of these isn't practical for her I think. We each liked the O/U we rented, but I've heard most are meant for trap/skeet and while suitable for some game birds, aren't suitable for geese and ducks. Admittedly I haven't done a lot of research on O/U's since I thought I'd have a Browning A5 by now...

Thanks all.
Old 04-10-2014, 09:06 PM

Actually many O/U shotguns are designed to be used for hunting, and some are very suitable for ducks and geese.
Old 04-10-2014, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Actually many O/U shotguns are designed to be used for hunting, and some are very suitable for ducks and geese.
Great, any you know of or have tried?
Old 04-10-2014, 09:22 PM

I got myself a Ruger Red label for upland birds and clays but I liked it so much I didn't want to use it for water fowl. I got a synthetic 870 for just that purpose. I know it doesn't exactly answer your question but that is what I did, and never looked back.

Burglar: Aren't you going to call the cops?
Farmer: Why? Nobody knows you're here
Old 04-10-2014, 09:24 PM

With shotguns, regardless if they are o/u or not are usually set up either for Skeet, Trap, Sporting Clays or field use.
Target guns are generally heavier than hunting guns although waterfowl guns that are chambered for 3" or 3.5" shells can be heavier than field guns ment for upland game birds. The extra weight is to mitigate recoil somewhat when you're shooting hundreds of rounds per day.
Skeet guns, Sporting guns and field guns generally shoot flat while Trap guns usually shoot high. Some European field guns will shoot a bit high too but not usually as high as Trap guns.
The bottom line is that Skeet or Sporting guns can be used for hunting and hunting guns can be used for Skeet, Trap or Sporting. Trap guns are a bit more specialized but can also do double duty if needed to, you'll probably just have to shoot a bit low.
Soooo, after all that, talk to Don at Silver Willow, tell him what you want to do and he will steer you in the right direction.
Old 04-10-2014, 09:25 PM

I would decide on the main use for the shotgun first and then decide on the action. If its primary use will be migratory hunting(ducks and geese) I would be looking for a synthetic stock semi auto and if not go with an O/U. If you decide to go the O/U way there are many choices within the O/U's. Field guns or something for clays. Try some Trap shooting too, you may really enjoy that and a Trap specific O/U shot gun makes it much more enjoyable. You could also just buy a used 870 wing master pump, shoot it lots and in the future you would have much more personal experience to draw from and it would be much easier to decide.
Old 04-10-2014, 09:28 PM

Default Browning Citori

I hunted a 12 gauge citori for years. Ducks and geese.

they are great for hunting upland as a break action is preferred to demonstrate a safe action when broken over dogs. I think where the o/u gets somewhat of a bad rap for ducks and geese is in a swampy environment the break action could dip into water or mud. A lot of duck and goose hunters also feel they need that 3rd shot from a pump or autoloader.
One shotgun to do everything is never going to be enough but an o/u is a good start.
My o/u shotguns outnumber my autos and pumps 4-1 but now Ihave found Beretta fits me as well or even better.
Old 04-10-2014, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairiewolf View Post
Great, any you know of or have tried?
I own A Browning Citori Feather,20/28/410 three barrel set, and a Browning Citori 725 Feather 12 gauge, that I use for hunting upland birds and pheasant. If I wanted to hunt waterfowl with an O/U, I would choose a heavier gun, likely the regular 725 Field.
Old 04-10-2014, 10:40 PM

I quit competitive trap and skeet many years ago and although I still have some dedicated trap guns , I shoot 90% of my clays now with my field guns and have found that I am enjoying it even more .
All my hunting guns Re either SXS or O/U And I see no reason to change
Cat
Old 04-11-2014, 07:06 AM

Smile They are just fine!

There are millions of ducks and geese, you don't need 3 shots, hit them with the first shot! (Grandfather).

I use a break action over the dogs, and a Stoeger semi for waterfowl, that because of the steel, I also use an 870 for the same reason.

My .410 and 20 ga are used for Pheasants and Huns.

Buy what you can shoot (very old friend and expert).
Old 04-11-2014, 07:26 AM
Banned

What kind of gun were you shooting at Silver Willow? If you were shooting it well, you've likely found the gun you should get already, unless it was a dedicated trap gun. Typically people that shoot Browning's well don't fit Beretta's and vice versa...(although I find that I shoot both equally terribly).

The browning cynergy line has a few waterfowl guns that are camo dipped that would make good all rounders. Generally, anything for waterfowl/sporting clays etc is going to be a bit heavier, so isn't going to be ideal for hauling around all day for upland.

Good luck.

Last edited by rugatika; 04-11-2014 at 07:34 AM.
Old 04-11-2014, 07:43 AM

One attribute that you will see on a "target" shotgun, is that they are generally a little fancier. This is usually nicer engraving, different checkering on the stock and a fancier stock finish. None of these affects how well the gun will work for shooting ducks and geese, it just makes you take pause with taking one of these into the blind where there tends to be snow/dirt/bush and other damaging items, that may take their toll on the fancy stuff.

That being said, a true hunting shotgun tends to be less fancy but will still break just as many clays if you do your thing.

Myself, i have a sporting o/u for clays and an 870 express for waterfowl.

A friend has a lower end Citori that he uses for everything and he tends to out shoot me on birds and targets.

After all of this, I would be surprised if you could buy one shotgun that would fit both your wife and yourself and see you both shoot it well. If you can, buy a target gun for you and a bird gun for yourself or vice verse and share. Win Win I would say.
Old 04-11-2014, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snort View Post
One attribute that you will see on a "target" shotgun, is that they are generally a little fancier. This is usually nicer engraving, different checkering on the stock and a fancier stock finish. None of these affects how well the gun will work for shooting ducks and geese, it just makes you take pause with taking one of these into the blind where there tends to be snow/dirt/bush and other damaging items, that may take their toll on the fancy stuff.

I dunno, I have some pretty danged fancy shotguns that I hunt with, never bothered me in the least!
Cat

Old 04-11-2014, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
I dunno, I have some pretty danged fancy shotguns that I hunt with, never bothered me in the least!
Cat

Gotta say, I love the way Cat looks at life!
Old 04-11-2014, 02:30 PM

Im in the same boat. I have done a lot of research and decided on the Browning Cynergy Feather 12ga
Now i have to decide if i want it in 26 or 28 inch barrel
Silver Willow does have a few choices. Maybe head back and try a few models to see which one feels more natural.
Old 04-11-2014, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 75ft Arborist View Post
Im in the same boat. I have done a lot of research and decided on the Browning Cynergy Feather 12ga
I bought this in a 28".....LOVE this gun...originally just got it for skeet but have been using it to hunt with the last 3 seasons now. Awesome shotgun.
Old 04-11-2014, 05:01 PM

Default Never shot one so I dont have a dog in this race

Success of the cynergy in Canada has surprized me as the stylized stock was never fully accepted in the USof A so many dealers were blowing them out at $999. a piece several months ago. I wonder if like cars and trucks they have recognized Canada as a market so now ship them all here?
Old 04-11-2014, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwbirds View Post
Success of the cynergy in Canada has surprized me as the stylized stock was never fully accepted in the USof A so many dealers were blowing them out at $999. a piece several months ago. I wonder if like cars and trucks they have recognized Canada as a market so now ship them all here?
Far too many of them up here with happy owners to think they don't work!
Cat
Old 04-11-2014, 05:27 PM

Default I am sure they work fine

I remember selling several of them to customers when I was on the gun counter. Heard from a US friend that the stylized stock has been basically rejected in the states so dealers are clearing them out rather than have them in inventory any longer.
Old 04-11-2014, 05:35 PM

Quote:
I remember selling several of them to customers when I was on the gun counter. Heard from a US friend that the stylized stock has been basically rejected in the states so dealers are clearing them out rather than have them in inventory any longer.
I hate the danged things myself, right along with the newer Franchi butt stocks!!
Cat
Old 04-11-2014, 05:40 PM

Quote:
I owned a 28 Gauge Cynergy Feather for a short time, because I bought it at a great clear out price. However, I much prefer the Citori, so I sold it, and replaced it with the Citori Feather Three barrel set.

I shoot the Feather with 410 barrels for skeet now and then, but I certainly wouldn't buy a 12 gauge Feather model, to shoot skeet on a regular basis. The recoil with such a light gun, is more than I want to deal with, and I am not sure how the allow frame would stand up to 5000 to 10,000 rounds per year, for an extended period of time.
Old 04-11-2014, 05:51 PM
Banned

I have heard them called the "Beemer Boy's O/U".
Old 04-11-2014, 08:00 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by greylynx View Post
I have heard them called the "Beemer Boy's O/U".
Dang!! Do I gotta turn in my redneck club card now??
Old 04-11-2014, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Cat

How did you manage to have those birds lay so still while you take their picture?
Old 04-11-2014, 10:11 PM

Years of training!!
Cat
Old 04-11-2014, 10:45 PM

O/U will do fine for ducks and geese, but I find they are hard to re-load under cover of a layout blind.

You might want to find a slightly heavier one, my Yildiz is a fairly light gun and goose loads can really rattle your teeth.

Browning BPS has bottom eject IIRC
Old 04-12-2014, 07:59 AM

Quote:
That is interesting coming from the land that invented tacky.
Old 04-12-2014, 08:47 AM

I Have a Benelli SBEII and shot a 25/25 on skeet last year, thats with the 28" barrel. Its pretty much a dedicated waterfowl/upland gun. But i shoot it great so it dont matter!

Fish of 2014-

Yellow Perch-22
Lake Whitefish-7
Pike-19
Walleye-63
Burbot-7