Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-05-2010, 03:57 PM

Default Frustrating Jiffy issue

I've had this happen to me before, but today was just too much. I would start drilling and get about two inches into the ice and the sharp point at the end of the auger would become covered in ice/snow and it would just spin and spin and spin. It wouldn't dig into the ice at all. I'd take it out, chip off the ice, start again and an inch or two later the same thing would happen. It literally took 10 minutes to get a hole drilled through 18 inches of ice. The point on the end of the auger would turn into an ice cone and the more I drilled the more it "polished" the ice making it more and more difficult to chip off. Anybody else ever have this problem?
Old 02-05-2010, 04:06 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kreator View Post
I've had this happen to me before, but today was just too much. I would start drilling and get about two inches into the ice and the sharp point at the end of the auger would become covered in ice/snow and it would just spin and spin and spin. It wouldn't dig into the ice at all. I'd take it out, chip off the ice, start again and an inch or two later the same thing would happen. It literally took 10 minutes to get a hole drilled through 18 inches of ice. The point on the end of the auger would turn into an ice cone and the more I drilled the more it "polished" the ice making it more and more difficult to chip off. Anybody else ever have this problem?
time for some new cutting blades?
Old 02-05-2010, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacob1202 View Post
time for some new cutting blades?

Yup!!! Yup!!! Yup!!!
Old 02-05-2010, 04:17 PM

Try sharpening the blades. I do it after every couple of fishing days and havent had any problems. I keep a sharpener in my shack...
Old 02-05-2010, 04:23 PM

You may not have to realy sharpen but just put a edge back on them like a knife. Just a touch up.
Old 02-05-2010, 04:24 PM

Kreator

Let me Suggest to you get rid of them and Put Ripper blades on there . I have never had a problem with them , but those Flat blades are alright , but Would never resharpen them , spend the 25 bucks its cheep considering they last 4 or 5 years . Ripper blades are the way to go .
Old 02-05-2010, 05:17 PM

Never had the problem. You can but augers with some protective coating the supposedly eliminates the ice build up but when I bought mine the guy said if you ever have that problem, just coat it with WD40 before you use it. Could help but I think there is a problem with your blade(s).
Old 02-05-2010, 05:31 PM

I've had the same issue with my Jiffy stealth ( extra 2 small blades beside the cutting point) Mine did that at Badger a few weeks ago when it was very cold I just used a knife to clear the blades of frozen snow and it was good for another couple of holes. Last time out it was no problem. I finally have my jiffy running decent and Dang! it cuts 10 inch holes like butter.
Old 02-05-2010, 05:38 PM

Could it really be the blades already? I bought the auger new last winter and I've probably cut about 40 holes tops. How long are they supposed to last? Does the point on the end of the auger need to be sharpened as well?
Old 02-05-2010, 05:41 PM

By the way, the auger is the Jiffy Legend Lightning XT...it came with a Ripper Blade.
Old 02-05-2010, 06:11 PM

Could be the blades are a bit out of "angle" or they are icing up. Try a bit of wd40 on the blades before your first hole to keep the ice from forming.
It doesn't hurt to sharpen the blades either.If the auger is fairly new I think Jiffy offers free sharpening.You just have to pay the return shipping.
Hope you find a remedy as down-time fishing is just time that sucks!
Old 02-05-2010, 06:21 PM

Blades should last longer than that. 5 years maybe.
Mine's a 3 hp Model 30 with white engine housing. It doesn't have those extra blades on the triangular tip at the centre; just a blade that's wider and nearly touches the tip in the centre.
Don't know names of them all but my buddy's is the yellow 2hp and has 2 small extra blades on the tip. He hasn't mentioned any problems. Unless you hit something your blades shouldn't be worn. Try lube it up when it's dry (refrain from comments!) and see if that helps or try what Mudslide did.
The tip doesn't need to be sharpened. It's just there to act as a guide for starting the hole; kinda like a drill bit for wood vs your standard metal drill bit.
Old 02-05-2010, 06:36 PM

Thanks for the help. The blades are still sharp enough that they will split your finger right open. It will dig into the ice just fine until the tip gets encased in ice, then it spins and spins. I'll try some WD40 tomorrow. If that doesn't work I guess I'll have to bust out the hand auger!
Old 02-05-2010, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Could it really be the blades already? I bought the auger new last winter and I've probably cut about 40 holes tops. How long are they supposed to last? Does the point on the end of the auger need to be sharpened as well?
YES! It definately could be the point in the bottom. I sent my auger to a small engine repair shop to get my Jiffy model 30 running properly a few years ago. When I got my auger back it ran great so I went to the lake, fired up the auger and.....wouldn't drill a darn hole no matter how hard I pushed down on it Then I noticed that when the mechanic was test running the auger he must have been running it outside on the frozen ground because the edges on the point were rounded off, which is appearantly enough to keep the auger from drilling a hole. Needless to say, my trip was ruined. thought about sending the repair shop a bill for the tank of gas I burned but I'm sure I know how that would have gone.

So yes, before investing $45 on new blades, take a quick look at that point. I fixed mine by carefully straightening & re-facing the edges as well as slightly bevelling them, leaving the leading cutting edge of the point longer than the trailing edge (hope that made sense). Did this with a small angle grinder. Tricky to get it right but if you take the guard off & are careful it's not a big deal. Also, take your existing blade off before attempting this! Not only is it super easy to nick & bugger your blade up but may prevent a serious injury to your hand if the grinder catches & jerks your hand around. I sharpened my point up so that it could cut your finger & now it cuts like a darn!

Also like others have said, spray some WD-40 or something similar on the point after sharpening it.
Old 02-05-2010, 07:29 PM

I have never had that problem but I would sure like to know what fixes it.
Old 02-05-2010, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikester View Post
YES! It definately could be the point in the bottom. I sent my auger to a small engine repair shop to get my Jiffy model 30 running properly a few years ago. When I got my auger back it ran great so I went to the lake, fired up the auger and.....wouldn't drill a darn hole no matter how hard I pushed down on it Then I noticed that when the mechanic was test running the auger he must have been running it outside on the frozen ground because the edges on the point were rounded off, which is appearantly enough to keep the auger from drilling a hole. Needless to say, my trip was ruined. thought about sending the repair shop a bill for the tank of gas I burned but I'm sure I know how that would have gone.

So yes, before investing $45 on new blades, take a quick look at that point. I fixed mine by carefully straightening & re-facing the edges as well as slightly bevelling them, leaving the leading cutting edge of the point longer than the trailing edge (hope that made sense). Did this with a small angle grinder. Tricky to get it right but if you take the guard off & are careful it's not a big deal. Also, take your existing blade off before attempting this! Not only is it super easy to nick & bugger your blade up but may prevent a serious injury to your hand if the grinder catches & jerks your hand around. I sharpened my point up so that it could cut your finger & now it cuts like a darn!

Also like others have said, spray some WD-40 or something similar on the point after sharpening it.
Good to know. Thanks. Hope it doesn't become a problem but might just have to do some annual maintenance to be sure; just like the lawn mower.
Old 02-05-2010, 07:45 PM

Quote:
I had a very similar thing happen with my Jiffy and all I did was lift up a little and hit it back down a couple of times while I was drilling. After a couple taps it would start rippin ice again.
Old 02-06-2010, 01:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JtotheL View Post
I had a very similar thing happen with my Jiffy and all I did was lift up a little and hit it back down a couple of times while I was drilling. After a couple taps it would start rippin ice again.
I've had the same happen with mine--I bought it new this year, and have only drilled about 30 holes with it. I lift mine and bang it down, and it seems to clear the center, and starts ripping the ice again. I am going to try to lube that center blade too though--its a bit of a pain.
Old 02-06-2010, 05:46 AM

My new stealth does the same thing. What you need to do is bring it into a heated room (melt all the ice on the auger) now when you drill a hole do not put the auger in the snow. If you do, it plugs the holes on the side of the ripper and you'll have the same problem. Soon as you drill your hole put the cover back on it. Lay the auger on it's side ( i put mine on the tailgate of the truck)

I bought one of those new snap on covers for the blades and when I now drill my holes I put the auger immediately into the cover and that prevents it from icing up.
Old 02-06-2010, 08:00 AM

just wanted to make a note on using the WD-40, that oil gets in your hole and in the water, and on the fish you catch. So how about using Fluid Film, it is not harmful and is food grade, so like i said its not harmful to anyone or anything. Just wanted to ad that.
Old 02-06-2010, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by splake0 View Post
My new stealth does the same thing. What you need to do is bring it into a heated room (melt all the ice on the auger) now when you drill a hole do not put the auger in the snow. If you do, it plugs the holes on the side of the ripper and you'll have the same problem. Soon as you drill your hole put the cover back on it. Lay the auger on it's side ( i put mine on the tailgate of the truck)

I bought one of those new snap on covers for the blades and when I now drill my holes I put the auger immediately into the cover and that prevents it from icing up.
Thanks very much--I wondered if it was something like this. Appreciate your advice.
Old 02-15-2010, 04:05 PM

i think ill try vegetable oil, that should work ..
Old 02-15-2010, 07:17 PM
hunter49

I cant believe people are getting multiple years out of blades(5!?!), mine are done after 2 years tops. I guess if you only get out half a dozen times a winter and drill 2 holes each time...
Old 02-17-2010, 09:30 PM

my model 30 with a 10" blade, new this christmas, does this exact thing. and it seems if you let the shavings stay piled in there, once you get down a foot or so, it gets too compacted and plugs the point up. when you lift it up a bit, it lets the motor rev up and the auger spins all the shavings out quickly.

but other than that jiffy rocks!
Old 02-17-2010, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter49 View Post
I cant believe people are getting multiple years out of blades(5!?!), mine are done after 2 years tops. I guess if you only get out half a dozen times a winter and drill 2 holes each time...
Have the Jiffy 3hp stealth stx -drill 10inch holes.
We go out as much as possible, almost every weekend after Christmas to season end. I drill holes for myself, my two boys and my nephew - unusally punch about 20 holes min. This is year three with no iceing or screwing around with the blades. Still cuts a hole with no problem and quickly. One lake the ice was 36" and we moved alot....it was my back that was starting to need repair.

But I do keep that black plastic protective cover on it when in the truck....and when tuneing it up before the season, I just run it with the cover on in some snow. The blades never touch anything but lake ice and snow.
Old 02-18-2010, 07:23 AM

Your blade might need to be shimmed, if it is not at the right angle it will not cut. Use a small washer and shim under the blade, that should change the pitch and I bet you it will cut. Seen this more than once. Buddy had to do this even with a brand new blade.