Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 06-11-2024, 08:18 AM

Default Book for bear hunters

Read Born under a stump by Russ Hulet. Story of Bill Hulet who shoots more than 3500 bears, not a misprint. He works for timber companies where bear are damaging young trees that have been replanted after timber harvest.
Old 06-11-2024, 09:56 AM

Stat I read was just under 3,200 bears, which is still an obscene number. All in a 600 square mile area.
I usually enjoy autobiographies by people that are a bit more ......humble, I guess.

“Born under a stump, suckled on sow bear milk and raised in jail,” he proclaims. “I know every root in these parts, every huckleberry meadow, bee tree, strand of swamp grass and skunk-cabbage patch. To hunt bears, you’ve got to be as tough as a good old bear dog. Well, I’m tough, and I’m the best there is.”
Old 06-11-2024, 01:35 PM

Default Bears

I have his book but can`t find it right now. One story where he was drinking with a bunch guys, being entertained by a dancing hooker and as she came around he touched her bottom with his cigar, She went screaming out and rushed back in with a pistol. As every one was trying to get out, Bill was shot in his calf.
Old 06-11-2024, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antlercarver View Post
I have his book but can`t find it right now. One story where he was drinking with a bunch guys, being entertained by a dancing hooker and as she came around he touched her bottom with his cigar, She went screaming out and rushed back in with a pistol. As every one was trying to get out, Bill was shot in his calf.
Sounds like a real “upstanding” guy. I’ll skip reading that book, glad he got shot.